Knife on leg or bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you to all who have posted. There has been a lot of good information posted here. Although I think I might be more confused now about what knife or knife/shears to carry. :06:I got a oceanmaster titanium as an early x-mas gift but now I think I might downsize and get a pair of shears also. So many decisions

I have a UK titanium on the inside of my left calf and I custom mounted a Zeagle tool kit to my BC, to the right of of the buckle on the cummerbund, infront of the pocket (it is a Ranger LTD). The tool kit has a small knife and EMT shears. This keeps the knives where I can get to them and keeps them away from my hoses. It works well for me.

Marek K:
Those of you that secure a knife to your right shoulder strap... makes sense. No hoses there, and generally less "busy."

But are you right-handed? How do you remove and replace the knife... with contorted right hand? Or left hand, then switch to right?

--Marek

I am left handed and can reach it easily with my left hand, but it can be drawn right handed also without difficulty.

My knife has a rigid sheath with rubber straps that fit round my calf.

I use rental gear, but would like the option of fixing the knife to the rental BCD in a removal way. Any suggestions on how I can securely attach it?

This past summer I bought a big, sharp, shiney, titanium, knife with a clear hard-plastic sheath at a pawn shop for 20 bucks. I thought this was the bargain of the year for me. The thing was a "rambo" for sure! Heavy and about 12" total length. What a useless piece of junk! I had no straps with it so mistakenly bought some nylon straps with buckle harnesses. Of course when diving 100', wetsuit compresses and sheath straps don't! I messed around with that stupid thing for two dives and on the third, the sheath became loose completly and the knife became released and dropped out. I didn't realize it until I was on surface, but was not concerned one bit. Keep an eye out for it on the Lilly Parsons, Brockville, St. Lawrence River. I don't want it back, use it in the garage for opening paint cans or something. There is lots of good information here about knives, and I'm glad for the info.
One point we should all keep in mind is the Buddy, redundancy thing. I know where his knife is and he knows where mine is. I can cut him out and he can cut me out. Much safer that way I would think. Rather than trying to cut yourself out of a big mess?

I use the UK Remora knife and sheath with two UK rubber straps on the inside of my calf. It's small and carry it only for kelp and mono-line entanglement. This config allows me to strap over any wetsuit thickness with no readjustment at any depth. My focus is on simple parts for all dives (thats my goal). I may move it to my BC in the future if I do wrecks.

Seat belt cutter corrodes too fast: So it stays in my land kit.
--
Z-knife on right BC strap interferes with my light.
--
-I'm right handed So?
-3" Titanium sheath knife to chest strap, handle down. Big sheath to help resheath without sticking myself. In zero vis will just drop after use. New knife cheaper than fixing my tender body after stab. To say nothing of grief my "friends" would give me.
-Large Trauma Shears(EMT shears) in left side waist pocket.
-When circumstances demand a Large Titanium sheath knife to inside left calf.
-Am considering a Fiskars Stainless Steel ByPass Pruner inside sleeve over left shoulder strap.

Just can't have too many or too sharp cutting tools. Same with lights. Can't have too many or too bright.

This is rig today. Not bound by DIR so will modify as need and experience dictate.

Zip ties are rather handy things. You can generally attach most anything to a BCD with them. When you are done, cut them off.

Ron

spog:
My knife has a rigid sheath with rubber straps that fit round my calf.

I use rental gear, but would like the option of fixing the knife to the rental BCD in a removal way. Any suggestions on how I can securely attach it?

I like to keep a very sharp safe knife within easy reach on my chest, either BC strap ot my LP inflater hose. While freediving I had a pouch made in the center of my chest in my wetsuit. Never had to use one but its like a seat belt, in a wreck its not a bad thing to have.
Bill

Like a lot of you, I love redundancy. Honestly, what I carry and where depends on what kind of dive I'm doing. I do however always carry 2 knifes and a set of line cutters. Line cutters are always in the BCD pocket. I carry a smaller knife on the left shoulder of my BCD. My larger knife a 4" UK titanium, is the one that kind of rotates. On most dives I wear it on the inside of my right calf, however on wreck dives or cave dives I move it up to the outside of my right thigh. I like having a knife not attached to my BCD, so that its always with me even if my BCD isnt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom