Knife location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncle pug

I carry the uk blue tang on the inside of my left calf.

And a tusa bc knife attached to my spg line. It's not a blunt tip, because a blunt was not available here in Korea. Never use it but it is always there.

The knives are tools.

Blunt tip is best.

PS: Keep the questions coming so we al can learn.

A 3" lockback centered on waist and shears on the back of my console. I can reach either with either hand.

For best streamlining, less drag, less clutter I have shears in my right BC pocket, a lockback knife in my left BC pocket. Both are on small lanyards, clipped off to a bungee in the pocket. The lanyards go onto my wrist before the knife/shears get unclipped from the bungee.

I can access either one, with either hand, with eyes closed. While it may take a few more seconds than if I had it on a BC strap, waist strap, or calf, I prefer the cleaner less cluttered config of having them in my pocket.

In a true entanglement case, it is best to have your buddy cut your free and vice versa.

My most common use of shears is to cut loose and dispose of fish line that has been left on the reef.

Just one 6" blade on my left inner calf - easy to reach with both hands, but even easier with teh right ;-). Inner calf as opposed to teh outer - to avoid entaglement and improve streamline.

I thing having a small backup is a good idea - will probably get a small blunt tip to put on the inflator hose - in sight and accessible with both hands.

safe diving.

deep_ocean

As yet I don't have a knife or scissors.

But that said I would consider carrying a pair of scissors in the future.

I've seen people with knives and they never seem to use them, or they want to cut the local traps, which is not right as you muck up the local way of doing things.

You may think you are helping fish but the local fishermen then get pissed with divers.

I think it's best to leave only bubbles, break nothing touch nothing.

A knife or scissors should be for emergency situations only - right?

I carry a 3" blade on BC strap and a folding 4" in BC pocket.

I am thinking about a pair of shears after reading an article on safe diving, which mentioned you can use shears with one hand
and they can cut thru metal.

Thanks for the info I will have to rethink my setup.

Been diving over 40 years. Have had about four occaisions to cut underwater, more on the surface. i.e. rope, boat lines. taught tangles, etc. One guy I cut out was tangled in mono and steel leader wire. Stainless snips did that job. I believe you should wear what you need for the dive at hand. If you're going to do some work, then take the right tools. If you're going to be following a divemaster around in 100' vis, then a 3" job on the inflator hose is super. I dive and spearfish a lot in the Gulf of Mexico. I use a 3" on inflator hose, 4" Blue Tand on L. inner calf and stainless snips in poucch which goes on BCD cross strap. Different strokes for different folks.

Dive safe, Cudabait

It looks cool on the calf, but if your caught up and you can't bend over and reach it your Sea Hunt special ain't gonna do much good 3 feet away from your hands. But looks way cool.

I have a small 3" UK knife I wear strapped to the inside of my left forearm, a 3 inch blunt tip cheapo strapped to my right shoulder strap, and shears in my BC pocket. Some times I also have a 4" that I wear on the top of my right thigh.

Two quick drills to try out.Think worst case scenario and try to reach different parts of your body with out moving too much (the more you move the worse it gets). If you can't reach it with out bending your leg to 90 degrees and crouching over then its a bad location.
For the next one put a piece of tape over the blade edge to protect yourself and your gear. Seriously, you'll slice yourself if you don't.
Now close your eyes and take out your knife, now put it back without opening your eyes, and without sticking yourself or your suit. Not so easy huh?

Well, when you think about it, chances are if you get caught in something you'll probably disturb everything around you while getting out of it. You might have to save you azz in a blackwater silt out situation. And if its that bad, and getting worse, drop the knife and get out while the gettins good, a knife can be replaced. Even a $120 super Titanium knife ain't worth your life. That's why you carry more than one knife... also why I don't spend more than $25 on any knife, most I've used have been in the $15-$20 range. Cut the line and try to get it back in the holster 2 or 3 times, but after that if you need your hands to get out, just drop it before you stick yourself in the hand or through your dry suit

Been diving for 12 years and had to cut myself out several times (during PSD rescue and recoveries) in blackwater and also have helped others while rec diving. I try to steer around monofilament on wrecks but sometimes its alot easier to just hack it to pieces.
The new spider wire stuff fishermen are using now is really tough stuff. Its much easier to cut with emt shears or good line cutters.

Back
Top Bottom