Knife location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fixed bladed cutting tool sits on my right inner calf. A folding lock-bladed cutting tool fits on my right BC strap. A hinged bi-bladed cutting tool sits in my BC pocket... We don't use knives while diving :tease:

Originally posted by NetDoc
The fixed bladed cutting tool sits on my right inner calf. A folding lock-bladed cutting tool fits on my right BC strap. A hinged bi-bladed cutting tool sits in my BC pocket... We don't use knives while diving :tease:

So let me get this straight:::

You've got a hatchet on your leg,
A folding pruning saw on your arm,
And hedge trimmers in your pocket???

But WHY?

:p

in that many agencies try to portray knives as NOT being weapons. Since all knives CAN be weapons, there is one agency that prefers you to use the term "cutting tool" instead. I do use a 6" fixed blade, a 4" lock back and a pair of shears... Of course they have no problems with the word "shears" or "scissors", but we like to extend the joke anyway...

I have a small 3" blade knife mounted to my inflator hose and carry a pair of shears in a pocket.

I'm strapping a 6" mexican auto retract Stilleto hidden in my boot and my high school fencing Epee' on my hip :wink:

never know when you may be challenged to a daul by an obnoxious narwhale!

hehehe

Spydertek

disclaimer: I really only have a small little diving knife on outseide of right shin.

If I carry my pig-sticker, that one goes on my left inner calf. Otherwise I carry a small blunt tip on my harness belt behind my accessory pouch, and I always carry heavy duty scissors on my belt. On my travel BC the scissors go in a pocket and the small blunt-tip knife goes on the right shoulder strap at chest level.
Rick

That's the question....
Or at least a part of it....

Why that location???

And is there a location that you eschew.... the word means "avoid".... and of course.... why

Well, I tried strapping my dive knife to a lot of different places and practicing blind removal and replacing.

And Since I am a righty and ease / comfortablility in this excersise on the outside of my right leg (down buy my ankle) proved to be the best choice.

I do not at this time have the redundancy of shears in my BC, Although I plan to.

I do find however, that getting at the pockets of my BC (Dacor velcro pockets) isnt always allt hat eaasy with glvoes on.

ST

Remember, that in diving the knife is not a weapon, but an esential tool that may save your life. Therefore here are a Few rules regarding placing knives-

-Do not put them somewhere they may entangle with enviormental things (fish lines, kelp, etc.) like the outer leg.

-Make sure the knife is located in a spot easily and quickly reached by both hands (in case one hand get's entangled, you can quickly release it with the other).

-If you think it may be a problem to find such a place, do not be shy to use 2 knives!

-Personay I have a small double edged knife on my right BC strap which is easily accesible with both my hands and scisors+"Z" knife, each in a pocket.

There are many kinds of knives- in fact every tek diver usualy dives with at least three different knives- A " standard" knife that may also be used as a hammer a screw diver and many more things, A pair of scisors of a special kind which I can't recall the english name for (the kind that cuts metal easily) and a special kind of knife called "Z" knife, becouse of it's shape and is used to cut lines.

Back
Top Bottom