Knees + Ankles Hurt with Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlvrDragon50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just went diving, and I think my fins either aren't the right size or I have bad technique.

I have Jet Fins that feel fine for the first 10 minutes of the dive, but my ankles and knees quickly start hurting when I am doing a frog kick. I don't really do other kicking styles since I got the jet fins just for frog kicking. I threw on my Apollo Bio-fins todays since it was OW, and I didn't seem to have any problems at all, although it's not a completely fair test since I do a mix of flutter and frog kick with the jet fins.

Any suggestions?

Jets are a little on the heavy side and sounds like they are straining your knees and/or ankles. It might also be because you are so used to the Apllos. How many dives have you done with them? I certainly had some muscle pain when I first tried Jets but after several dives no problem.

It's a possibility you just need to get used to them.
Dive them for a while and see if you can get your strength built up to be able to use them with ease. If you cannot get used to them or it feels like maybe you are getting an injury from them, they might not be for you.

Another thing to do which well help is to swim for fitness. I swim four to five times a week and it really makes a positive difference in my diving experience.

I wore Jets in the late 70's when I was a very fit Rodeo Rider/ Football Player/ Baseball Player/ Soccer Player.
I was was taught proper technique for these fins usage by a retired former Korean War/Vietnam War UDT Veteran, then recreational Dive Instructor.
He said I was doing everything right, I hated them.
I did not like them no matter what technique I used to propel myself.
I used them for about 20 dives I guess from both boat and shore.
I did not like them.
I then gave them another shot in the late 80's and I was at that time a very, very strong legged Land Surveyor.
Same duration, shore boat, cavern.
I did not like them.
Flash forward to this past summer.
I used them on 2 shore dives, and 6 boat trips.
I am no longer a Rodeo/Soccer/Futbull/Land Surveyor......
But I still have very fit legs, ankles. low back and whatnot.
They are NOT for me.
Yes, they are GREAT FINS.
But no amount of practicing, suffering, and comfort will develop if they are not for your particular hips, feet, ankles, back, and whatever.
Keep at it for as long as you need to to get it down pat, but you might find that they are all wrong for you after an honest try.

Chug
Mares Quattros
Mares Volos
Dacor Alphas
Cress Reactions
Scubapro Jets

Last edited:
Diving with Jets is all about technique. Kicking using knees or ankles will always lead to problems. You must use the classic kick from the hips, and alternate to frog kick from time to time to prevent cramping. I still find that my jets are the best choice when diving heavy tech gear. In addition to my Jets I own F1s, DiveRite EXPs, AL Sling Shots, and 2 pair of long blades, think you can't beat jets if you know how to use them but they are not suited to all types of diving.

I just went diving, and I think my fins either aren't the right size or I have bad technique.

I have Jet Fins that feel fine for the first 10 minutes of the dive, but my ankles and knees quickly start hurting when I am doing a frog kick. I don't really do other kicking styles since I got the jet fins just for frog kicking. I threw on my Apollo Bio-fins todays since it was OW, and I didn't seem to have any problems at all, although it's not a completely fair test since I do a mix of flutter and frog kick with the jet fins.

Any suggestions?

If you decide to visit the BHB Marine Park in Palm Beach, I'd be happy to let you try a pair of Excellerating Force fins....which are going to be drastically easier on your knees and ankles, and better for your frog kick, helicopter turn, and reverse kick....and I predict you will immediately see these as light years beyond the tired old technology of jet fins.

I'd have somebody look at the mechanics of your kick and see if you are doing something funky . . . Although, if you are older and have some osteoarthritis in your knees, frog kicking can hurt even if you do it perfectly. I know I'm good for about 2 1/2 hours of continuous swimming, and then my knees start to demand lunch.

If you decide to visit the BHB Marine Park in Palm Beach, I'd be happy to let you try a pair of Excellerating Force fins....which are going to be drastically easier on your knees and ankles, and better for your frog kick, helicopter turn, and reverse kick....and I predict you will immediately see these as light years beyond the tired old technology of jet fins.

That's what I dove on Saturday! Awesome dive! Saw Flying Gurnards and Batfishes.

I am only 21, but I do have any injury in one of my ankles. I've done maybe 10-15 dives in these fins and a similar number of dives in the Apollo biofins.

I will have to try using the flutter kick more Akimbo.

Back
Top Bottom