Kneeling or sitting on the bottom - I keep tipping over.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings, folks.

I've done a number of "feeding" dives (well, actually just 2) where we have to stay on the bottom and kneel-- one shark dive, one sting ray one.

And you know how you're supposed to kneel or sit in a circle and keep your hands close to yourself?

I KEEP TIPPING OVER.

Either to the front or the back. I noticed that I'm not the only one doing this. It definitely reduces the enjoyment of watching all the critters do their thing, and forget about taking photos. Plus, I feel like an a**hole.

What's going on here? Should I weight myself a little more than usual? Note that on one dive I was using a weight belt, and the other time weight pockets on the side, but nothing in those little "trim" pockets that some folks have up by the shoulders.

Any advice?

It's all about buoyancy and weighting....nothing more. Belt? Integrated? Using wing pockets? What's your setup and pounds?

Specialty dives may require rethinking your weighting....if I'm just going to sit on the bottom, I might add a few more pounds than usual?

It's all about buoyancy and weighting....nothing more. Belt? Integrated? Using wing pockets? What's your setup and pounds?

Once with belts, one with integrated pockets. I was wondering if it had anything to do with distribution....

Well currents can have an effect as well....

A Friendly Reminder...

The OP has previously characterized herself as a vacation diver. This question seems directed at a specific dive requirement for sitting/kneeling (e.g., a manta ray experience).
Trolls and sarcasm about kneeling on the bottom probably won't show SB in its best light.
Let's presume the OP already knows we don't sit on our coral reefs, okay? (I thought we might catch one or two of you before you were tempted :D)

The Moderator

What fins are you using? I had some difficulty with my Atomic split fins :angrymob: which are really long with stiff ribs on the sides. They tend to push me forward when trying to kneel .I don't have that problem when I use my shorter drysuit fins (Hollis F1s).

As you've noticed, sitting or kneeling isnt as suitable underwater.

If it is required, I adopt a pose like the two images (off Wikipedia) below for added stability:
550px-nowatermark-Do-a-Lower-Back-Stretch-Safely-Step-17-preview.jpg

Yoga-PosesAnjaneyasana-Lunge-Yoga-Pose.jpg

If you are going to try resting on the bottom in these ways, check with the dive guide on the surface first if it's ok.

For sitting on the bottom you need a low center of mass, heavy weights as low to the ocean floor as possible. For example a few extra lbs worn low on the hips with a weight belt.

Ideally divers generally enjoy diver position which is much more comfortable, but in answering your specific question, that's the best I can do.

Cameron

Back
Top Bottom