Kneeling or sitting on the bottom - I keep tipping over.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poor me I had to do all the OW cert training like that (I didn't know back then that actually everything can/should be done neutral buoyant). Kneeling position is very uncomfortable for me even on dry land, without equipment etc - let alone underwater. What my instructor told me to do and I found to be much more comfortable was to keep one leg in front of me i.e. the position shown in this picture https://goo.gl/images/cVhAaf
It worked for me and I am sure it will help keeping your balance too. Still not perfect as I had to change leg every now and then but much more comfortable and stable than just kneeling.

When I was doing support dive work on a show in Dubai, there were several points where kneeling on the bottom was required. Once I got over the mental aspect (I still have nightmares and wake up in a cold sweat) I realized that the best thing to do was weight myself as normal, then put on a weight belt with 6-8 lbs. extra on a rubber weight belt and wear it as low as I could.

In that scenario, I'd stage the belt and throw it on when I needed to kneel, and take it off when I needed to dive. Obviously you won't be taking it on an off, but bringing an extra weight belt with a few extra pounds on it and wearing it as low as you can should help with stability, if you're using integrated weights. If you're just using a weight belt, throw a few extra pounds on it, and when you get to the bottom, shift it as low as you can. Just don't remember to bring it up and retighten it before the ascent.

As you've noticed, sitting or kneeling isnt as suitable underwater.

If it is required, I adopt a pose like the two images (off Wikipedia) below for added stability:
View attachment 467923

View attachment 467924

If you are going to try resting on the bottom in these ways, check with the dive guide on the surface first if it's ok.

For sitting on the bottom you need a low center of mass, heavy weights as low to the ocean floor as possible. For example a few extra lbs worn low on the hips with a weight belt.

Ideally divers generally enjoy diver position which is much more comfortable, but in answering your specific question, that's the best I can do.

Cameron
I used the pose shown in the second image on a night manta dive in the Maldives. It was comfortable for the hour. It hurts my knees if I just try to kneel. One of the pleasures of growing old.

Did you let enough air out of the BCD?
Sounds like some might still be in it and depending in where, it may be causing the instability.
I was as empty as I could be! (I think!)

Did you let enough air out of the BCD?
Sounds like some might still be in it and depending in where, it may be causing the instability.
Could be... I have definitely been known to do that accidentally

Poor me I had to do all the OW cert training like that (I didn't know back then that actually everything can/should be done neutral buoyant). Kneeling position is very uncomfortable for me even on dry land, without equipment etc - let alone underwater. What my instructor told me to do and I found to be much more comfortable was to keep one leg in front of me i.e. the position shown in this picture https://goo.gl/images/cVhAaf
It worked for me and I am sure it will help keeping your balance too. Still not perfect as I had to change leg every now and then but much more comfortable and stable than just kneeling.
That’s what I wound up doing too... and meal-ass legs were like... ugh, gotta change legs. But I might have to do that if I can’t get this right.

When I was doing support dive work on a show in Dubai, there were several points where kneeling on the bottom was required. Once I got over the mental aspect (I still have nightmares and wake up in a cold sweat) I realized that the best thing to do was weight myself as normal, then put on a weight belt with 6-8 lbs. extra on a rubber weight belt and wear it as low as I could.

In that scenario, I'd stage the belt and throw it on when I needed to kneel, and take it off when I needed to dive. Obviously you won't be taking it on an off, but bringing an extra weight belt with a few extra pounds on it and wearing it as low as you can should help with stability, if you're using integrated weights. If you're just using a weight belt, throw a few extra pounds on it, and when you get to the bottom, shift it as low as you can. Just don't remember to bring it up and retighten it before the ascent.
A-ha! Makes sense! Thanks!

then put on a weight belt with 6-8 lbs. extra on a rubber weight belt
At least four.

FWIW, I avoid feeding dives because I hate to kneel. I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom