Knee Brace and DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tchil01

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a Dr. Deco question or not.

Last Sunday I twisted my knee on the boat as I was moving over to the rail to do my entry. It was fine throughout the dive and climbing back up the ladder, but stiffened up on the drive home. So far every day it has been getting better but there's still a little pain when it twists. I where a knee brace on that knee when playing basketball or running to give it some extra support.

Is there any danger of wearing the brace under my drysuit to give my knee some support this Saturday when climbing up the boat ladder? Since it compresses around the knee I didn't know if that would make it more likely to prevent nitrogen off-gassing do to restricted blood flow.

Thanks
Ty

Howdy tchil01:

I'm not aware of any specific information on knee braces and diving, but I can think of some general considerations.

One concern is that knee pain from any source can somewhat mimic symptoms of DSC possibly confusing the diagnosis. Also, it's probably unwise to wear anything that significantly impedes blood flow when diving.

Having said that, if a knee brace reduces knee pain and doesn't signficantly impede blood flow, it could be of benefit while diving.

HTH,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

Back
Top Bottom