Kiribati - Christmas Island diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pearl4diving

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi All,

I noticed that there is a direct flight, 3.5 hours from Honolulu to Christmas Island. Has anyone done any diving there?

Sounds pretty small and remote - but seems the fish are plentiful. I've been able to find two operators Kiribati Divers and the Christmas Island Divers Assocation ( http://www.christmasislanddiversassociation.com/ )

If anyone has had any experience with the plane trip from Honolulu to Kiribati and/or the diving - I would be very interested to hear about it....

Thanks in advance!

Funny you should mention this. A dive club I belong to just sent an email about a week long dive trip to Christmas Island during the week of Christmas. The head of our dive club has apparently been a diving a few times there and was sent information on this trip by one of those dive operators you mentioned. Can't recall which one, though.

Anyway, the trip is an all inclusive package deal that includes airfare, all dives and meals - at what seems to be a great price of about $1700 pp. It seems that there's only 1 flight a week to Christmas Island, which leaves on a Monday. I really want to go, but I just don't have enough vacation time. Story of my life - too many places to travel to, not enough vacation time. :wink:

From what I've heard, the diving is great. The plane ride is only about 3.5 hours - so really very brief, considering that it takes over 5 hours just to get to California.

Hello Pearl4diving,
I just back from diving vacation in Christmas Island, Kiribati. It's great, still unspoiled and marine ornamental fish and coral are still in abundance. I enjoyed diving with local guides from Dive & Sportfishing Resort there.
If you are prepared to dive in the 3rd world where time is not mattered and life is simple, Christmas island is your choice. You'll have a wonderful diving experience!

I've also been researching it and spoke with John Earle the other day while hanging at See in Sea. He has been down there a few times and says that April and May are the best times to do it. You might recognize John from the Discover Channel special that aired in October entitled "Exhibition Pacific Abyss"

I'll try to sort out some more details.....

Aloha,

G

I believe he does his diving with Dive Kiribus

When I saw the thread I thought...oh! Pearl's around!! then I saw the date.....very old thread.

I've been real curious about it, it sounds like a natural being so close but the price is up there. I've met a few people who went there.... all for fly fishing, at least one was a diver but didn't dive.

Yeah,

It sounds like they have some great flats for bonefishing. I think if a bunch of us pinned down a date it would be a lot of fun. Around $1800 for a full week of diving, accomodation included and breakfast and lunches too.

I'm setting my target for next spring. Our dive club is already headed off island twice this year but I will be digging more into the Xmas island idea.

G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom