Kingston, Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron203

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In a cruel twist of fate, I found out today I'm flying to Jamaica tonight for business. I don't have time to plan and / or execute a dive (plus Gustav probably messed up the viz some), but there is opportunity for repeat trips.

The question: Has anybody been to the Kingston area? Any good diving? Any good dive charters? Any and all information will be appreciated!

Anyone who is traveling overseas it is recommended to US State Dept warnings.
Link- Jamaica
I would pay extra to ensure you know exactly what you are getting at all times.

From family experience Jamaica is one of those places that are fine until something goes terribly wrong. We lose a fair number of people in Jamaica every year!
Jamaica has a terrible poverty problem and they do take advantage of visitors.

I would pay extra to ensure you know exactly what you are getting at all times.
Enjoy yourself but keep a keen eye on your surroundings.

Regards, Andrew

Yeah, I don't think Kingston is the travel capital of Jamaica by any means. After we were done with our meeting, we were talking to the driver about the razor wire around the schools and hospitals. He even said there was a street (I think he called it the Mountain View area) where the street was the dividing line between two waring factions. They would sit on either side of the street and fight, shoot, yell, etc at each other. Don't know if its true, but we still declined his offer to take us down that street! :)

I did see across from my hotel a Jamaica Dive Club, so maybe next time I'll go talk to them. I don't think I'll be diving soon until I know who / what I'm diving with.

Glad to hear your trip went well.
I was not out to be mean, but wanted you to honestly see the world that was around you. As Americans we are often too trusting because of this incredible country we live in. When I am traveling respect is always provided and trust is always earned.

Now for a smile- :D

If you really need to travel in the third world the only safe way to travel is with the US Marines (1MEU.)
Give me a Devil dog any day of the week… God Bless the Corp!

Safe diving, Andrew

I didn't take it as mean. I have an advantage of my company always provide the DOS briefing prior to any international travel, so I knew what I was getting into.

The lack of responses sorta indicates to me that Kingston may not be the best place to dive. If some of the hard core Swampers won't even dive there, then I'm not sure its divable! :)

I dove Jamaica back in 2004 while on a cruise. I'm not even sure what town we docked. The diving was not very good for the carribean. The reefs were in pretty bad shape. That was only one dive trip through the cruise line, you should have better luck w/ a dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom