Kingshorn from shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Ripley:
What, no photo's?

Kevin
Yeah... I guess we will have to take his word for it... Or maybe he can let us know when he's going out again so we can join him...

Tom, how much time did you spend on the wreck and what was the run time... On 32%?

A standard dive to the Kinghorn from shore with no deco should run under 1 hour, 10 - 12 mins out, another 20 mins on the wreck and back done on 32% and slow accent at the wall will not put you into a deco obligation. Again remember this is an advanced dive and the water is getting cold, so obey the rules and noone gets hurt.

Picture of a couple of divers entering today.

Also apparently there was a traffic jam on the Morrison in Barrie today, so still lots of diving going on.

Okay thanks Tom.. we were doing 30-40 min on the wreck but with the cooler temps will drop it down to 15-20 to avoid the chilly deco.

May try and do it on the 26 Dec..If I can find anyone interested.

Merry XMAS to all...

Diver Joe:
Okay thanks Tom.. we were doing 30-40 min on the wreck but with the cooler temps will drop it down to 15-20 to avoid the chilly deco.

May try and do it on the 26 Dec..If I can find anyone interested.

Merry XMAS to all...

We will be diving all winter on the Kinghorn and Rockport on Sundays. Will be posting pics as I get them Here under Rockport Winter 03/04

Tom

Guess I'll be there next weekend too. Dove at Morrison's Quarry near Ottawa yesterday... I has just frozen over about 1". Suited up and broke a hole thru it with our own weight.

I finally did this dive on Saturday with my regular buddy.
The whole experience was a real eye opener and it has become a milestone in my scuba diving career, it had a major role in me changing my goals for this year.

Oh, the dive was great.

Air, in a nice new E8 130, in with 3400, out with 600.
14mins to the wreck, 13mins on the wreck, 20mins to the end of the line (spent 4 minutes at the speed boat) and the final 19 minutes were spent from 40 feet to 0 doing non-mandatory deco stops (40 feet 2min, 30 feet 2min, 20 feet 3min, 15 feet 4min, 10 feet 4min with 1 minute travel time between stops) this is my standard deco-procedure for all dives.

Anyway. Why this dive was a MAJOR eye opener for me.
I was narcked out of my skull at 89ffw (max) by the plaque. I couldn't read the placque, I couldnt' read my gauges unless I intensely stared at it. Part of the dive plan before we entered the water was to evaluate entering the hold at depth, which we did at the back but immediately acended (at this time we reached our predetermined turn pressure).
Pre-dive planning is critical. It is basic training. We faltered here. This mistake was potentially deadly.
On the way out I was 15 feet above the line, on the way back I was hugging the line (narcked).
I did not have a redundant air source.
Upon reflection and after numerous discussions with my buddy I am quite positive if we had a CF on the wreck, or at the speed boat we would not be able to ascend and do our manditory stops in blue water and shoot a bag and have enough gas. I later found out my buddy's computer was 5 mins into deco (mine was not). I have decided to investigate alternate air sources, Ie slinging a AL40 pony like a stage bottle.
2 of us should either have the same computer or toss the computers and use bottom timers/table (120 rule).
We used Air (big mistake) On reflection it is possible that we would have had more control over the dive narcosis wise if we were using a mixture of EAN probably 36.

All in all in my opinion we executed a perfectly acceptable dive profile, well within our training limits, but considering the factors (cold, long swim, vitural overhead (we saw a boat go by before we entered the water) no redundant air supply) I will not go back until I have further training and equipment (nitrox, and redundancy)

Art

Diver Joe:
Guess I'll be there next weekend too. Dove at Morrison's Quarry near Ottawa yesterday... I has just frozen over about 1". Suited up and broke a hole thru it with our own weight.

Yeah, that was fun! Sorry I didn't get as far as the boat guys - seems my ear won that round.

Count me in for going again though...

artw:
I finally did this dive on Saturday ...
14mins to the wreck, 13mins on the wreck, 20mins to the end of the line (spent 4 minutes at the speed boat) ...

Which wreck and speed boat are you referring to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom