kinda feel stupid asking but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajohn921

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
im going to buy a cressi ellipse reg, DIN, now i know there are lots of threads about DIN 200/DIN 300.... but... which one is preferred im AND when i go to rent a tank what do i ask for, a hp tank obviously but is there special lingo i need to use or do i just say hey im diving din 200/300 which ever one and theyll hook me up,,, man i sound dumb, 2 questions in one day for me ugh..

300 bar DIN connections are the deeper ones, 200 bar is shallower. They're both made for the same pressures... the 200/300 bar is more of a nickname than an actual rating of service pressure. Confusing, I know.

You typically see 200 bar threads on the DIN Thermo Pro valves that are designed to have a yoke threaded adapter attached into them. Far more common is the 300 bar DIN connection, and it's what you'll find on the vast majority of DIN tanks.

Most all DIN regulators are threaded for 300 DIN connections, so you won't have any problem with your regulator. If you attach it to a 200 DIN valve, it's just going to bottom out with a few threads left, but still be very secure.

The main concern is using a 200 DIN valve w/ yoke adapter and a yoke regulator at pressures greater than 3000 psi.

-Brandon.

Edit: reading some of these threads below... I'm confused again, and don't know that I know what I'm talking about... ARGGGHHH!

ok, you probably have a 300 din valve in your reg, which means you can
use either a 232 (200) or 300 din tank valve to screw into.

300 is usually preferred as sturdier. however, a 300 tank valve will only
accept 300 bar regulator fittings

232 din tank valves, on the other hand, will accept both 232 and 300 bar regulator fittings

for all intent and purposes, they are otherwise equivalent.

i am not 100% sure of this information, but i believe 232 bar valves
are rated up to 300 bar (or 4350 psi) so i don't *think* you'll have
a problem. please triple check this, as i am not sure. of course,
good luck finding someone who'll fill a tank past 4000 psi =)

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/valves.shtml

it is frigging confusing eyebrow

hey scubajohn, how did these explanations sit with you?

scubajohn921:
im going to buy a cressi ellipse reg, DIN, now i know there are lots of threads about DIN 200/DIN 300.... but... which one is preferred im AND when i go to rent a tank what do i ask for, a hp tank obviously but is there special lingo i need to use or do i just say hey im diving din 200/300 which ever one and theyll hook me up,,, man i sound dumb, 2 questions in one day for me ugh..

Regulators sold in the USA have a 300 bar MALE din connection. This will mate to either a 300 bar FEMALE din valve or a 232 bar FEMALE din valve.

In Europe you will find regulators with 232 bar DIN male connections which will mate to a 232 bar female din valve and while they will screw into a 300 bar female valve it will not seat and seal thereby protecting a 232 rated regulator from seeing 300 bar pressure.

When you go to rent a cylinder for the most part unless it is a progressive dive center they will only have standard Yoke style cylinders. Best to either purchase your own cylinders with DIN valves on them or get a DIN to yoke adapter (easy spin on) then you can use your regualtor with BOTH DIN or Yoke style valves.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers

H2Andy:
ok, you probably have a 300 din valve in your reg, which means you can
use either a 232 (200) or 300 din tank valve to screw into.

300 is usually preferred, as a 300 tank valve will accept either a 232 or a 300
bar regulator fitting

232 din tank valves, on the other hand, will only accept 232 and will not accept
300 bar regulator fittings

for all intent and purposes, they are otherwise equivalent.

i am not 100% sure of this information, but i believe 232 bar valves
are rated up to 300 bar (or 4350 psi) so i don't *think* you'll have
a problem. please triple check this, as i am not sure. of course,
good luck finding someone who'll fill a tank past 4000 psi =)

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/valves.shtml
Actually, your information is wrong. It's exactly the other way around.

232 BAR tank valves will accept both 232 and 300 BAR regulators.
300 BAR tank valves will accept only 300 BAR regulators.

The reason, as joel stated, is to prevent a 232 BAR regulator to be connected to a pressure that may be to high.

yeah... no kidding...

this is why i bought 232 DIN tanks so i could use both 232 and 300 bar inserts...

jeeez.... you'd think i'd get it right... they're sitting about ten feet away

thanks for the catch, A

300 BAR all around..........no issues, even when renting tanks

Back
Top Bottom