Killer whales off Waikiki ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like three weeks or so ago I heard that an Orca had beached itself somewhere on Oahu. They couldn't get it back in the water so it was put down. Would be interesting to know what the cause of the beaching. I've never came across anything saying Orcas were more dangerous than sharks. In fact, everything I've ever read would indicate that Orcas are the most willing of all Cetaceans to interact with humans.

The flopped over dorsal fin sounds like an Orca to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, Thal, but doesn't that indicate not-so-perfect health in a wild Orca?

They may be more dangerous to non-humans, but the beauty is that they are intelligent enough to tell the difference between something to eat and something to observe, unlike sharks. They are magnificent animals. You are lucky to see some here.

I don't really know ... I've heard the same thing, but I have not kept up on the literature in that area.

hey bcyber.. yes, these were the real deal..
one of 'em surfaced just 10 feet starboard..
and a couple others 50 yards off the bow..
large wide dark craniums.. with a definite curl to the side at the top of a tall vertical dorsal..

as for being wary of killer whales.. i suppose i've seen too many shots of their continuous row of large round bullet shaped teeth!
plus, i thought i did see a discovery channel highlight show of orca attacks.. (much like shark week).

Darn I wish I was with you! I would have jumped in to get a look or picture. You should have tried to catch a ride or something. :crafty:

JJ - Welcome back! You always have the most amazing sightings. We were just at the YO a couple of weeks ago and didn't even see a shark or ray. I'll have to go with Dave's mirage theory. It was probably a school of chub skimming the surface. :) Lonnie

He just thinks he has those sightings. I think his aged mind is playing tricks on him or he sniffed to much sand while in the desert. Or maybe it was the moonshine ;-)
Probably just a wave crashing near the boat.

Here is an article about them...Killer Whale Attacks on Humans - Orca Attacks - Pilot Whale And the other wikepedia link someone else posted lists all the deaths...they are all in captivity.

Dude is this what you saw? If so you are very lucky... Ocean Wildlife Pictures SeaPics.com Blog

Quote from link above:

"...False killer whales live around the Hawaiian Islands, but range widely. They are generally difficult to see up close, as they are rare to find in the first place and tend to shy away from boats. This time, they seemed preoccupied with something at the OTEC buoy. They appeared to be blowing bubbles toward the buoy again and again. It would certainly be dangerous to photograph such "Killer Whales" up close, but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for wildlife photographer, Masa Ushioda, to capture the moment..."

thanks for the articles dave..

looking at other photos and reading the material you found..
with their all black bodies and documented prevalence in hawaiian waters..
the false killer whales are most likely..

this photo from national geographic is pretty much what i saw..
http://www.ngsprints.co.uk/images/M/412014.jpg
the hook at the top of the tall slender dorsal may have pronounced the droop..
but on the one that past closest to my boat.. it was definitely flopped over..

thanks all for helping me I.D.
and, btw.. they have big round teeth too! :shocked2:

When we saw them in Lahaina last I was told they usually come back about 3 days later - like they are retracing their steps and sure enough they did (I wasn't around for the first pass, but the second time got a good view of them) ... don't know if that will be the case for you as well or not, but might be worth watching for them again in a few days at the same spot :)

Here is an article about them...Killer Whale Attacks on Humans - Orca Attacks - Pilot Whale And the other wikepedia link someone else posted lists all the deaths...they are all in captivity.

Dude is this what you saw? If so you are very lucky... Ocean Wildlife Pictures SeaPics.com Blog

There was a form about Killers in Hawaii
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/257892-beached-killer-whale-poipu.html

Then bcyber post some video of Killer in action, including attacking humans

YouTube - Whale Attack
Orcas hunt gray whale calf
YouTube - Orca attack on Great White
YouTube - killer whale attack a hopeless girls
Killer Whale vs. Sea Lions (flv video) download at fliiby.com

..They may be more dangerous to non-humans, but the beauty is that they are intelligent enough to tell the difference between something to eat and something to observe..

uh yeah.. but after seeing the videos posted above..
would you trust their intelligence enough to jump into the water with orcas (pseudo or otherwise)?

especially the vid of the orcas eating/playing ball with live sea lions :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom