Killer JellyFish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nah this was for real - I think the guy's name was Ben Cropp or something - he used to do Australian documentaries, as well as lots of stuff on the Great Barrier Reef and diving. This was early 1980's.

Just found this reference - article

excerpt from Ben Cropp -

"In all those years, working full time among the most dangerous of all creatures and handling some of them many times over, none of my team were injured. That says something for these creatures. Of course, our encounters were backed up by lots of experience, care, and very calculated risks. I did actually sustain one injury -- but it was self-inflicted. My wife Lynn placed the tentacles of a box jellyfish on both my arms and we waited one minute before pouring methylated spirits over one arm and household vinegar on the other. It was an experiment in the early days of box jellyfish research, when some experts relied on metho to treat stingers and others newly advocated the use of vinegar. Since I was handling box jellyfish every day, suffering some minor stings, I wanted to be sure which remedy to use if I did receive a major sting. The result of my experiment was a lot of pain in both arms. Vinegar did win however, successfully neutralising the unfired nematocysts. The methylated spirits gave me a secondary sting when it triggered off those unfired stinging cells."

This guy had balls (and he was another Aussie :) )

Methinks you're right! But at least something good came of it - showed which first aid treatment was most effective in treating the stings, which no doubt has saved some lives over the past decade or two.

Back
Top Bottom