Kihei, Lahaina, Wailea or...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From having made a bunch of trips to Maui, I'd say your choice of South Maui is a good one. Kihei has a lot of restaurants, from the simple and inexpensive to some very nice higher-end places. The boat ride from Kihei to Molokini is short (I like Mike Severns best) and there are many secondary dive sites the operator can choose from for the second dive. Best of all, from my standpoint, there is excellent and very easy shore diving in South Maui. Frankly, many of the creatures people are excited to see in Molokini are just as easily found near shore. Turtles, morays, white tip reef sharks, and frogfish are within shore diving distance. Although my husband and I can afford boat diving, we've gotten to the point where we don't bother on some of our trips, and virtually never do more than one day on a boat. We have just as much fun from shore, and do it on our own schedule.

If you want to go and do the Cathedrals and pinnacles off Lanai, which are fun, taking a boat out of Lahaina is better than the long boat ride from Kihei. Depending on traffic and time of day, it's about a 45 minute drive up to Lahaina. (There's some great shore diving up there, too, including my favorite Maui dive.)

A lot of the shore diving sites have pretty easy parking and access, and some also have restrooms and showers. Ulua Beach is a good one, although one wants to get there fairly early in the morning, because the parking lot fills up. Makena Landing is another easy parking, easy access site.

But I don't know anywhere you can walk to boats or shore sites, unless you happen to be staying at the hotel near that particular beach. The drives aren't long, though.

Oddly enough, Scuba Shack and Ed Robinson's are on my "stay away" list, too.

Scuba Shack *can* be good, but depends on who's driving the boat. Valerie is great, but Charlie has some interesting rules... like no peeing in *any* wetsuit (yours or his) and has been known to refuse the second dive to a diver who doesn't obey. .

I may regret asking, but exactly how do they know if you've peed in your own wet suit? Perhaps the request is reasonable if everyone must rinse their suits together in a bucket on the boat, but if they forbid me a second dive because I could no longer hold it, I'd be, um, pissed off.

From having made a bunch of trips to Maui, I'd say your choice of South Maui is a good one. Kihei has a lot of restaurants, from the simple and inexpensive to some very nice higher-end places. The boat ride from Kihei to Molokini is short (I like Mike Severns best) and there are many secondary dive sites the operator can choose from for the second dive. Best of all, from my standpoint, there is excellent and very easy shore diving in South Maui. Frankly, many of the creatures people are excited to see in Molokini are just as easily found near shore. Turtles, morays, white tip reef sharks, and frogfish are within shore diving distance. Although my husband and I can afford boat diving, we've gotten to the point where we don't bother on some of our trips, and virtually never do more than one day on a boat. We have just as much fun from shore, and do it on our own schedule.

If you want to go and do the Cathedrals and pinnacles off Lanai, which are fun, taking a boat out of Lahaina is better than the long boat ride from Kihei. Depending on traffic and time of day, it's about a 45 minute drive up to Lahaina. (There's some great shore diving up there, too, including my favorite Maui dive.)

A lot of the shore diving sites have pretty easy parking and access, and some also have restrooms and showers. Ulua Beach is a good one, although one wants to get there fairly early in the morning, because the parking lot fills up. Makena Landing is another easy parking, easy access site.

But I don't know anywhere you can walk to boats or shore sites, unless you happen to be staying at the hotel near that particular beach. The drives aren't long, though.

Thanks for the advice. Based upon that, we'll definitely do some shore diving. Prey tell, which is your favorite Maui dive?

I may regret asking, but exactly how do they know if you've peed in your own wet suit? Perhaps the request is reasonable if everyone must rinse their suits together in a bucket on the boat, but if they forbid me a second dive because I could no longer hold it, I'd be, um, pissed off.
Charlie has a very fine-tuned sense of smell... At least when it comes to that.

I totally agree... Which is why I don't risk it. I don't dive with them. :)

But does Charlie say you can't take a dump in a wetsuit? Brown Trout against the rules too?

But does Charlie say you can't take a dump in a wetsuit? Brown Trout against the rules too?

:rofl3:

You have been given solid information on the ins and outs. And most information is based on individuals experiences, but nonetheless still good info. I personally have gone out with Lahaina Divers many times and have had nothing but good things to say. Yes, they are somewhat regimented and monitor people closely, especially on the first dive. I know we had to show them our dive log the first time we went out and they briefly looked thru to see what level of diving we have done. They put us in groups based on that experience and again on the first dive monitor your air consumption. If you show that you are not a gas hog they leave you alone and actually let you stay down a little longer than the rest of the group.

As far as staying here: resorts vs condos, I recommend you look at more hawaii for less - hawaii for less - hawaii 4 less . I have used them quite a few times and they have some pretty good deals (that even include a rental car and airfare if you need help).

Maui no ka oi

I'll second the votes for Kihei / Wailea, I love the Grand Wailea myself, I can go do whatever and my wife is totally happy to stay behind and be pampered. Very convenient to many shore dive sites as well as the Kihei boat ramp.

On my last trip in October I got great service from Maui Dreams (top notch operation, very customer service oriented) and also dove with KrisB a couple of days (Thanks Kris!!, very nice guy, dropped everything to help me out, highly recommended). I did dive with Mike Severns, they run a good operation with knowledgable DMs.

One of my friends went with Scuba Shack and had a miserable time, crowded boat, hyper regimented DM, and rushed dives (he ended both dives with over 1000psi since they were in such a hurry to get back to the ramp!!). I would also recommend avoiding the resort dive ops, overpriced and geared for novice divers.

Thanks Oside Jimc. The Grand remains the pinnacle of all my vacations. The most relaxed and pampered I'd ever been. A bit pricey for us (maybe the new stimulus package from D.C. will pay for a few nights there :wink: ) We did resort dives with the Grand in 1997, paid through the nose (but didn't feel it since everything was so expensive). Even uncertified and limited to 20-30 ft, we were hooked. So I can thank an overpriced Grand resort dive for getting my wife into Scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom