Kidspot does the splits...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The grey fins are a lot floppier, and I would imagine, you would need more effort to do the maneuvers you mention. I would be curious to know how the black twins do for you.

RonFrank:
I have a pair of Apollo Biofins, and just purchased a pair of Mares Quattros. While the Mares are NOT jets, here is my take.

If you want finess with a fin, a non-split fin is going to fit the bill better. The drag, and hence the ability to fine tune the fin is MUCH better with a non-split. This does NOT mean that the ability of the fin is all that much different, but the perception of the user is huge, and non-split fins have a HUGE drag associated with them that splits do not which makes slow difficult kicks easier to execute.

the term is control.
If you are going for speed, regardless of against the current or not, splits dominate for most people. The Mares actually are not much slower in tests then the Apollo, but the difference is in effort. To get the speed out of the Mares, you have to work your legs off compared to the Apollo BioFins.

It's not often that speed is an issue although that how all the magazines compare fins. Still, I can not only "nove out"with non-split fins, I can move out on the first kick without having to kick 40 times before I get going. LOL
Don't kid yourself, many people diving non-split fins will not be able to keep up with split fin owners, and I have definately found it true.
Maybe after another few thousand dives I'll be able to figure out where all you folks are going in such a hurry.
For most of us REC divers, IMO split fins are a god send. I purchased the Mares to dive dry, and to be honest, dislike them. I'm not doing caves, or area's whre kicking up the bottom is death. I think if you want to dive serious tech, a stiff non-split fin is best, like a Jet.

Most rec divers have never been taught to kick. Kind of like how an automatic transmission out performs a manual if you don't know what a clutch is. LOL. The fact is that when I was teaching I tried very hard to find a way to help split fin users learn different finning techniques and it never really worked. In the end, I just didn't permit them in classes where more than a flutter needed to be taught and used.

if non-splits are better for tech...why wouldn't they be better for rec too?
For all the people that love JETS iit's amazing to hear about how they don't fit right. Seems that sizing is a Major issue. Hey my Jets are the BEST ever but I have to shove a chunk of wood in the foot pocket, or live with pain?

Well, I hate scubapro so I don't use jets but I have a pair of turtles that fit great with my drysuit and another pair of paddle fins that fit great with a wet suit.
I'm sure there will be a LOT of people who disagree. Hey, whatever works for the diver. However, if someone wants to keep up with me using my Bio-Fins against the Jets.. just try.. I realize it's not a race, but in current.... Bio-Fins rock. I even added spring staps for the best of both worlds.

Lets go dive Jackson Blue. When it's pumping the flow will literally tear the mask right off your face if you look to the side. My money says that I keep up. LOL but if you are faster, I'll let you go and stay with the rest of the team.

MikeFerrara:
Maybe after another few thousand dives I'll be able to figure out where all you folks are going in such a hurry.

Heh, I was just thinking that. I'm certainly not racing around my dive spots, nor do I wish to.

kidspot:
Today the vis was the best either of us had ever seen at this site, with most of the dive in the 50-60ft range.
So what you are saying is that visibility is improved with split fins.

kidspot:
. . . and we were able to find numerous old bottles littering the bottom. We found 8 total . . . All in all a good dive for finding bottles .
. . and that split fins allow you to find more bottles !

kidspot:
At the end of the dive I had used 200 psi more than Pops, which is a little larger margin than normal - we are normally within 100 psi of each other. .
. . and that split fins allow you to breathe more freely !

kidspot:
It was a great day and a great dive
So split fins were able to allow you to have agreat dive. Most excellent! Great endorsement.

*Smiling big*

Thanks,

Wristshot

[BTW, FWIW split fins seem to work best when used with a "bending at the knee" kick as opposed to a "bending at the hip" kick. Plus mine do not seem to work well at the surface, but that may well be operator error.]

gfisher4792:
Heh, I was just thinking that. I'm certainly not racing around my dive spots, nor do I wish to.

Reminds me of an old joke:

Bob and Tom are about to go hiking when Bob notices Tom is wearing running shoes. Bob:Why are you wearing running shoes?
Tom : In case we run into a bear.
Bob : You can't out run a bear.
Tom : I just have to out run you.

Subsitute hiking/running shoes/bear with diving/split fins/shark and it's just as bad!

Wristshot - you had me laughing hard on that one - thanks :D

I'm trying to find a buddy to go back today to see if it was the split fins that allowed us to find the bottles or not yesterday ... I'll wear my jets this time to verify :wink:

Wanna fly over quick and help with the experiment?

And btw - it's the water that makes diving fun, not the gear ... last dive I had in the desert just wasn't quite the same :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Wristshot:
So what you are saying is that visibility is improved with split fins.

. . and that split fins allow you to find more bottles !

. . and that split fins allow you to breathe more freely !

So split fins were able to allow you to have agreat dive. Most excellent! Great endorsement.

*Smiling big*

Thanks,

Wristshot

[BTW, FWIW split fins seem to work best when used with a "bending at the knee" kick as opposed to a "bending at the hip" kick. Plus mine do not seem to work well at the surface, but that may well be operator error.]

kidspot:
Wristshot - you had me laughing hard on that one - thanks
My pleasure. That was the goal

kidspot:
I'm trying to find a buddy to go back today to see if it was the split fins that allowed us to find the bottles or not yesterday ... I'll wear my jets this time to verify

Wanna fly over quick and help with the experiment?
Tempting, but I leave for Boanire in *checking watch* 9 1/2 hours. Too bad our leader is stuck in Texas and can't go until Tuedsday! (We'll miss her!)

kidspot:
And btw - it's the water that makes diving fun, not the gear ... last dive I had in the desert just wasn't quite the same
I just spent a week in the Nevada desert at Burning Man a few weeks ago. That was a LOT of fun, but certainly different than diving.

Be well,

Wristshot

I recently forgot my turtles when we were diving at our local shallow hole and had to borrow a set of splitfins. I was diving doubles that day, getting used them before I take them deep. I found the split fins were unable to provide the thrust that I needed to keep up with the others while normally, even in doubles I have no issues keeping up with my turtles. Perhaps the split fins are good until you start packing on your back. It would be something like comparing a sports car to truck. The car is going to be faster than the truck but if you put a load on them, the truck will beat the car.

Back
Top Bottom