Kidspot does the splits...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having only tried Jet fins since I took up Scuba (I tried several other paddle type fins before that) I have been meaning to try a pair of split fins to see what all the "hype" is about that surrounds them.

First here is my bias:
1) I like Jets and know the arguments for them.
2) I have heard the arguments against split fins.
3) I already own Jets (5 pair + 1 pair of Turtles) so I'm financially bound to Jet fins as well...

Today my buddy "Pops" and I dove on Mala Warf in Lahaina. Total bottom time 72 minutes, max depth 31ft, average depth was 21 ft. Current seemed to be pretty normal for the area and was running 1.5 ft per second at it's strongest point (Sorry I don't know how that converts to knots)

The dive is around a lot of fallen concrete blocks and twisted iron rails, etc.. Nice coral formations and good habitat for lots of fish.

I asked "Pops" if I could borrow his split fins for the day to try them out (he has another pair of full foot split fins) and he was nice enough to let me use his Scubapro Twin Jet fins (the Gray variety, slightly positively bouyant) while he used his full foot fins (which are too small for me and the black negatively bouyant variety)

Being at the mouth of a river the vis at this site is normally 15-30 ft and frequently worse. Today the vis was the best either of us had ever seen at this site, with most of the dive in the 50-60ft range.

One of the reasons why I wanted to try his split fins on this dive is because the warf is a perfect place to test the agility and finesse of fins. I normally use a wide variety of kick styles on this site. Frog for going around the perimeter. Modified flutter going through narrow "channels" of debris. Helicopter turns to reposition in the current and change directions in the confined areas (no overhead, just lots of obstructions) and this is the site that forced me to learn a backward kick to avoid being pushed into sea urchins by the current while looking at things and trying not to touch and stir up the large amounts of silt sitting on everything.

Since I knew the area was designed as a "Jet" fin course according to all the reports and comments I've come across on SB I figured this would be a good place to run the Twin Jets through their "paces" and see how they compared.

On the initial surface swim I noticed what everyone seems to point out, it feels like you're not wearing any fins at all. I did notice a slight foot cramp but that was because the fins were one size too small for my feet (I was wearing the thinnest boots I had available) but the cramps went away and didn't seem to present much in the way of problems for the rest of the dive. swimming out went quite fast and it did appear that we were moving quite quickly. Normally on a surface swim I do a frog kick on my back, and while I was able to move along at a decent pace with a frog kick, switching to a short flutter stroke really made me move. This is one dive where that is nice as you cross a boat ramp and want to get out of the way of the boat traffic in the area as quickly as possible. We got to our descent point (about a 100 yard swim from the entry point) and dropped down. I anchored our flag and we started swimming around the old warf on the "up current" side.

I tested out my frog kick, and it did work acceptably well, though I had difficulty making fine adjustments to it. A helicopter turn resulted in the same response. It worked, but took about twice as many kicks to complete and it was slower getting started. Once going it was fine though. It took me several trys to get a backward kick out of them and even then it was very weak. Normally it takes me 1-2 strokes with my jets to bring myself to a stop, then begin reversing. With the Twin Jets it took nearly 6 strokes to go from forward to reverse "gear" and I moved with much less determination and speed in reverse. But it did work. The modified flutter kick was wonderful and I found to be much easier with the Twin Jets.

During a recent storm the surge had shifted the sand a great deal and we were able to find numerous old bottles littering the bottom. We found 8 total - including 3 old coke bottles (When they still had smooth bottoms, not sure of the date though) 2 unidentified bottles, but neither had the modern "scalloping" on the bottom used in assembly lines. 2 of them were marked TH (Territory of Hawaii) which meant pre 60's and the last was an old Howdy Orange soda Bottle (we think early 1930's) All in all a good dive for finding bottles :D

We moved to the structure itself, which is where the current picks up - I found myself finning much more frequently and having more trouble than usual, so I switched to a Modified flutter kick in order to make headway into the current (no choice and for short distances in this area)

At the end of the dive I had used 200 psi more than Pops, which is a little larger margin than normal - we are normally within 100 psi of each other. And my SAC was quite a bit higher than the last few times on the same dive. I think this was mostly due to the second half of the dive when we spent more time going into the current as I felt like I was working much harder than I usually do with my Jets. My normal SAC for this dive site is around .45 and today it was slightly over .5 - which again I think was mostly due to the second half of the dive.

While this is hardly an objective review, I at least wanted to share my observations. Perhaps next time I need to try them out on a calm reef and see how they compare, but for now, with all things considered I think I'll stick with my old Jet fins.

It was a great day and a great dive -

Aloha for now,
Tim

I have a pair of Apollo Biofins, and just purchased a pair of Mares Quattros. While the Mares are NOT jets, here is my take.

If you want finess with a fin, a non-split fin is going to fit the bill better. The drag, and hence the ability to fine tune the fin is MUCH better with a non-split. This does NOT mean that the ability of the fin is all that much different, but the perception of the user is huge, and non-split fins have a HUGE drag associated with them that splits do not which makes slow difficult kicks easier to execute.

If you are going for speed, regardless of against the current or not, splits dominate for most people. The Mares actually are not much slower in tests then the Apollo, but the difference is in effort. To get the speed out of the Mares, you have to work your legs off compared to the Apollo BioFins.

Don't kid yourself, many people diving non-split fins will not be able to keep up with split fin owners, and I have definately found it true.

For most of us REC divers, IMO split fins are a god send. I purchased the Mares to dive dry, and to be honest, dislike them. I'm not doing caves, or area's whre kicking up the bottom is death. I think if you want to dive serious tech, a stiff non-split fin is best, like a Jet.

For all the people that love JETS iit's amazing to hear about how they don't fit right. Seems that sizing is a Major issue. Hey my Jets are the BEST ever but I have to shove a chunk of wood in the foot pocket, or live with pain?

I'm sure there will be a LOT of people who disagree. Hey, whatever works for the diver. However, if someone wants to keep up with me using my Bio-Fins against the Jets.. just try.. I realize it's not a race, but in current.... Bio-Fins rock. I even added spring staps for the best of both worlds.

Nice write-up review. I switched to the jet fins because I couldn't get anywhere with the twin jets in current. Thanks to the hubby with his great advice (in which I wouldn't take for a long time) I now use the jet fins and won't go back to splits

Ron - Thanks for the comments, and yup I agree that when it comes to speed splits are ahead of the pack so to speak. I disagree on the currents though as I found myself expending a lot more energy trying to maintain my position in the current. With my jets I can still frog kick, but with the splits I had to flutter kick about 2-3x more frequently. I'm exclusively a rec diver and don't know if I will ever get into other types of diving, however I value the ability my Jets give me to position myself easily. Eventually I plan to get into UW photography and think it will become much more essential to be able to position myself precisely where I want to be. My buddy "Pops" is a good diver and loves his Twin Jets, I can now see why, but I'll keep to my "old school" fins :wink: - funny but when I bought them the lds said "You mean those cinder blocks?" lol they really wanted to make a sale I guess... I bought them anyway :) Thanks again for the comments.

ch0ppersrule - I am amazed how many people I see wearing Jets around Hawaii - over 1/2 of the DMs and Instructors I've come across wear them around here, IIR all but 1 of the others wore paddle fins and he was using Force Fins... Now pros from the mainland that I've come across when they visit use splits more often... just interesting is all...

Aloha, Tim

I bought some Atomic split fins when I first started diving. The main reason was because my calves were cramping more than they should. It was suggested to me by my instructor so I tried them because no matter how many banana's I ate, water I drank, etc, etc. I cramped pretty bad. Also, diving cold water does that to me anyway.
So when I first started using my splits, I did notice a difference in less cramping but, I felt I was working too hard with them too. I found myself doing the frog kick more than anything.
I talked to a guy at my LDS and he said to try kicking with smaller faster kicks. I tried and it worked. Definitely able to move through the water without a lot of work but, it took a little practice. I love my splits but, I've also never tried jets either.

Luck would have it, I broke my little toe about 4 weeks ago.....bad break! So bad it didn't even hurt when I did it....scarey. When I looked down and saw that my toe was looking left the first thing I thought of was "how am I going to dive"? Anyway, I'm bummed because I'm worried about my trip to Hawaii coming up. I put my booties on yesterday and was excited I could even get the bootie on until I bared weight on my foot. Yikes! It hurt!! I realized there no way I'll be able to dive with my splits on this trip :( I tried on some fulls today and noticed they aren't THAT painful to wear. I'm going to check around and see what else I can come up with. I'm not going to let a stupid little broken toe stop me :wink:

kidspot:
Perhaps next time I need to try them out on a calm reef and see how they compare, but for now, with all things considered I think I'll stick with my old Jet fins.

Try a pair of Apollo Bio-fin pros if you can—they are the best split fins, IMHO.

calscubagirl:
Luck would have it, I broke my little toe about 4 weeks ago.....bad break! So bad it didn't even hurt when I did it....scarey. When I looked down and saw that my toe was looking left the first thing I thought of was "how am I going to dive"? Anyway, I'm bummed because I'm worried about my trip to Hawaii coming up. I put my booties on yesterday and was excited I could even get the bootie on until I bared weight on my foot. Yikes! It hurt!! I realized there no way I'll be able to dive with my splits on this trip :( I tried on some fulls today and noticed they aren't THAT painful to wear. I'm going to check around and see what else I can come up with. I'm not going to let a stupid little broken toe stop me :wink:

OUCH! I hope 2 weeks is enough healing time for you ... Maybe this is a good time to start thinking "Scooter" :wink:

kidspot:
OUCH! I hope 2 weeks is enough healing time for you ... Maybe this is a good time to start thinking "Scooter" :wink:
Believe me, that HAS crossed my mind, lol.

Kidspot... I didn't notice if you mentioned which color fin you used? They were the SP twin jets? B/C the Black fins are the "stiffest" while the other colors are "floppier" and their bouyancy is different...

Just curious, since I use the black twin jets, and like them a lot. In my case though, speed is the issue, since I shoot video, and often fall behind my posse, the twin jets are good for catching up with ease.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom