Kidde 2.2 cfm bad experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True enough. With 20 tanks to manage, totally worthwhile to do your own VIPs as well. So you prefer Bauer? Just curious... I occasionally find myself interested in owning my own compressor, but the cost of entry is so high and info seems to be somewhat limited due to perceived competition from dive shops...
Yup ... diving can get expensive getting started. A simple compressor can start at $2700 and go sky high from there. I have a guy that started asking about the $2700 one and then added so many options (all suggested by "friends") that he ended up at about $6500!

Yup ... diving can get expensive getting started. A simple compressor can start at $2700 and go sky high from there. I have a guy that started asking about the $2700 one and then added so many options (all suggested by "friends") that he ended up at about $6500!
You should see my Kidde. I bought one of Jim Sheldens and modified it to do 3 different pressure shutoffs by changing a switch, auto drain based on temperature and humidity, auto shutoff if oil pressure fails or if it runs longer than it should to fill three tanks, it can be switched to purge the compressor after the tanks are full if it is the end of a run or not if I am going to hook more tanks up. All controlled by a computer. I cool the output air with a chiller before it goes to the filtration. Constant CO monitoring and O2 monitoring on both the inlet and the output. Most of the parts are ebay stuff. I suppose I could build another setup with new parts for $10-12k, not counting my time and with $2200 or whatever I paid Jim for the compressor.

Bauer is one of a few major brands for which I have good local support. I want a machine that is small enough for 2-3 people to move (larger ex-fire dept machines require a forklift because they weigh hundreds of pounds), with a either a known service history or a warranty, capable of HP fills, and for which service parts are available. I'd like to get something sized around a 5hp motor that can fill a cylinder in 15 minutes or so.

As pointed out upthread, compressors can turn into expensive projects even if the basic machine is trouble free. I got a nice cascade for $400, found that the valves leaked, and spent another $300 on valves, hydro, and parts (see separate thread for why). A cascade is nice but I wouldn't have spent $700 if I had realized that's what it would cost.

Various automatic controls and drains also run up the cost quickly, and are a tempting purchase when using a smaller compressor where it is tedious to monitor the machine during a fill.

Not sure where this will end up for me. I'm thinking I'll end up with one of the newer, smaller Bauers. Expensive, but good support available. I am exploring some lower cost alternatives but at this point I want a compressor, not a project.

For the rest of this year, I'm pretty much resigned to paying for fills. My kids dive, and I'm going to have 20 empty cylinders by Monday afternoon from shore diving in the Brainerd area. Fills are expensive, compressors are expensive, part of the price of diving I guess.

- There are good deals on used compressors. I just bought a used Aerotecnica Coltri MCH-6 with Briggs and Stratton engine for $250. I'm amazed at the good shape it is in. It had some clogged fuel supply problems but now it runs great and fills tanks faster than my RIX SA3. Currently I'm working on improving the efficiency of moisture separation as it goes through filters a little too fast. Newer ones have a vortex generator, mine doesn't... YET. Also, I'm putting a Back Pressure Regulator on it which also improves moisture separation. I think MaxAir 35s come with a PMV that does pretty much the same thing. The MCH-6 is worth looking into. I have 4 friends with MaxAir 35s that are private labeled MCH-6s. They really like their compressors.
- A month or so ago, I bought a used Tornado compressor... 4 stage Kidde with big old electric motor. I have had both the motor and compressor running fine but have not yet finished getting the whole thing hooked up right for filling tanks... But I paid only $250 for it and it is a working compressor at 4 cfm no less!
- Last Fall a friend bought a portable Bauer for $450. The B&S engine needed some service from sitting too long but otherwise it worked great as is. He sold it to a commercial diver for $1000... Also a bargain but the first deal was the best.

Good luck... There's a nice compressor out there for you somewhere.
BTW - How is the visibility up at Crosby?

Good luck... There's a nice compressor out there for you somewhere.
BTW - How is the visibility up at Crosby?

I'm hoping.

Viz at Portsmouth Mine Lake was fantastic for a couple of days before the wind picked up. Other lakes also good. Glad we went.

This is Jim Shelden Call me 316-992-0505 I am semi retired but still selling equipment. I have only one compressor remaining and that is why I am semi retired. I have new shafts, filters, moisture traps and associated scuba and paint ball equipment.
Please let me know about the shaft problem as I have sold over several hundred compressors and not had shaft problems except "one" unit which was replaced

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom