Kicks with a torn calf muscle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I tore a calf muscle two days ago and I am trying to figure out how to do my kicks until I heal up. I was thinking of trying out a frog kick with just one leg and use the other to steer and deflect the wash from the good leg. I have done this before in open water when I had a leg cramp, but never in a cave or silty situation.

I plan on doing a couple practice dives in open water near the bottom to verify I won't screw up the vis, but recommendations on other kicks are welcome.

Perhaps modified flutter? Just worried about keeping up with everyone using that...

sierralayingdown.jpg

Problem solved

Tobin

Don't cave dive until your leg is fixed...?

How are you gonna walk to the water and gear up with a torn calf?

Also consider that you may have to help your buddy. Now you're carrying 2 people on one leg? Don't be selfish. Think about it the other way, would you dive with a buddy that isn't in shape to help you in an emergency?

I would strongly advice against any diving until you're back to 100%.

Not only is there the possibility of you not being able to make it back out, or not being able to help someone, there's also the possibility of you re-injuring yourself and prolonging the recovery process.

It just isn't worth it.

Do the time, let the leg heal, and go diving when you are all fixed. :)

Personally, I wouldn't dive with you in a cave or otherwise with an injury like that. You're not only putting yourself at risk, but your buddies as well. You may also end up doing permanent damage to that muscle if you don't give it the proper healing time. Sit this one out.

Hmmm, good points. This is why you throw the questions out.

I do like the scooter idea!

PS> Any ideas on how long it takes to heal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom