Kicked out of Nitrox Class!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this thread was started some time ago I'm wondering if this shop (and its practices) are still in business?

If the computers came from Leisurepro or someplace like that the student should have had the sense to avoid the subject knowing it is a sore spot for dive shops. The "you dont want to know" remark really put the issue right in Judy's face. He might as well have said "Leisurepro you crook." Its a real smart ass remark to give to someone that has any sort of authority. In a class the instructor has that authority. Possibly things escalated after that. Judy should have kept her temper, but could not.The student should have done what he needed to do to get off the computer topic and if asked where he bought them the answer should have been another dive shop.Sometimes it is necessary to put yourself in someone else's shoes before shooting one's mouth off.
This is bull****.

What he SHOULD have said was, "what difference does it make?"

The next thing he should have said, "it's really none of your business."

Couldn't agree more. Since when is it incumbent on a consumer to disclose where he bought his goods from on the childish whim of another store owner?

Even if it could be argued that the student should have sidestepped the issue once the shop owner raised it (which it couldn't) I totally disagree that it should be expected of him to lie (answer other dive shop) so as to avoid confrontation. The shop owner is the one with the problem, not the student. Why should he lie to solve the problem?

What - next time I go to the Jeep dealer for something and he asks me where I buy my oil and where I do my oil changes, or where I bought my big ass tires, is he supposed to get all pissed off at me?

I've taught a Basic class with one person in it. They did not buy 1 piece of gear from the shop where I teach. After I was paid my fee, the shop was in the red by quite a bit. If trends like this continue, the LDSs of the world WILL close down.
One has nothing to do with the other. So, a guy buys a service from you, and now he is supposed to buy products from you? Why?? If you want to bundle your training with your products, and charge $XYZ for the training and whatever you want to include, then go ahead and do it! But the expectation that just because someone buys one thing from you that they should buy something else from you is just wrong....on so many levels.

I took my Nitrox class in Florida. Showed up with all of my own gear. Didn't buy jack from them. Should they deny my business??? What sense does that possibly make? FWIW - I showed up with my wife too - she took OW and Nitrox from them. They only had her business BECAUSE they had my business. Guess how many friends or relatives the OP is going to send to this shop in the future....

"Do you like this store? We lose money on fills and classes. If you like this store, support us by buying your equipment here. Thank you."
I should get a t-short that reads, "Do you like your schools? I need money to pay my property taxes to support those schools. If you like your schools, please support me by buying something from me."

The sooner the dive shops realize they have to increase profit margins on things that can't be bought on the internet, the better off they will be. I see it to often they give away such services. They need to learn to charge for them.
I agree. You can't buy training on the internet. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that shops should charge more for training, rather than doing it at a loss. Duh!!!!

Legally speaking, NO. In retail terms your course is a "product" and you don't have the legal right to refuse to sell that "product" to anyone
GUE refuses smokers. How do they get away with that then?

Just like the local bar I reserve the right not to serve.
Lots of places have such a sign. It may as well say, "I reserve the right to be sued".

Owner and instructor who threw me out of the nitrox course 05/21/2003 at approx 8 pm CST-Judy Kay 3) I will compose a complaint letter this weekend when I cool down and send it registered mail on Tuesday to PADI filing my complaint
Why send it registered mail? It's not valuable and you don't need that kind of service. If you want proof of delivery, just send it RRR, delivery confirmation or certified mail. Lots cheaper - same results.

As a bartender you have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. I don't like you may be the reason, but you can just refuse to serve and assert your right to do so.
And watch what happens to the bartender who says, "I don't give no drinks to no half-breed Africans. Get the hell out of the bar!"

This is simply incorrect as a matter of law. A bar, or any other business, can refuse service or goods for any reason it wants, unless the reason is specifically prohibited by statute.
Ah, now see? We're already adding "qualifications" to the "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" sign.

As pointed out by NEW and others, a business can refuse to do business with anyone for any reason, as long as it's not an illegal reason.
Isn't that like saying, "you can take anything from the store you want without paying for it, as long as you don't steal anything" ??

Question: If being an LDS is such a hard, awful, hard-to-make a profit business to be in, then why do it? Love of diving or whatever? Hint: it's often not wise to make a business out of a hobby.

That being said, the reason I think a nitrox class is a product is how most shops market it. They tell you you watch a video, spend 6 hours in class going over material, you do your two dives (PADI doesn't even require the insturctor to be in the water for these dives so there is no "training" going on), and you get your card.
You don't even have to do two dives.

If we seperate gear sales from classes, fills and service..then OW classes will be $1000 if they are any good.
Hell, that's not far off from our local pricing. A local shop charges $900 for tuition, student materials, instruction, boat fee and gear rental.

Question: if I go to Blockbuster and get my 99 cent video, but stop at the grocery store to get my 75 cent M&Ms, instead of paying $2.00 for the same thing at Blockbuster, am I a bad consumer?

Question: if there are multiple dive shops in town, and I buy stuff from all of them, and I just a bad person?

Question: if the Chevy dealership we bought my wife's car from finds out we bought a Jeep from somewhere else, should they tell us to take our Chevy elsewhere if it needs to be fixed?

I'm in bed, 2am, in the dark, drinking a pepsi. I'm plenty relaxed :)

This is funny. I have gear I bought so long ago that the Mfg, shop and the owners might all be dead by now. That could have really floored her. "Who did you buy that gear from?" "Moses" :D

Gary D.

FYI - They're still in business, in North Richmond Hills, TX (DFW area).

I know this woman, and don't find her to be too much of a "people person." Doesn't seem to do well when someone presents opinions that aren't in alignment with hers.

Odd combination for a shop owner and Course Director.

Question: if I go to Blockbuster and get my 99 cent video, but stop at the grocery store to get my 75 cent M&Ms, instead of paying $2.00 for the same thing at Blockbuster, am I a bad consumer?

Yes:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom