Kick styles vs fin types

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carbon:
I started calling this kick the clamshell kick. When I'm just cruising around, I use this (or the frog kick). Like you, I started using the clamshell with full fins, and with split fins (ScubaPro twin jets) noticed reduced power. However, with the twin jets, if I kick so I "close the shell" more gently it works pretty well. Of course, the acceleration is more gentle too.

Carbon

It's actually a modified scissors kick ... I learned it in my YMCA OW class. They also taught us the dolphin and flutter kick. Ironically, in that same class, I learned that a frog kick is not commonly used in scuba diving (Jeppeson's Open Water Sport Diver manual, p. 18). Imagine that ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
It's actually a modified scissors kick ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob,

Modified scissors kick it is... Clamshell kick justs sounds so picturesque. :)

Carbon

I frog kick 90% and I use the SP jet with spring straps (Manta's). I have used blade, quatros, split fins and then I move over the SP jets XLs and they are the best. They are perfect for frog kicking

NWGratefulDiver:
It's actually a modified scissors kick ... I learned it in my YMCA OW class. They also taught us the dolphin and flutter kick. Ironically, in that same class, I learned that a frog kick is not commonly used in scuba diving (Jeppeson's Open Water Sport Diver manual, p. 18). Imagine that ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I still have my Jeppeson's from my YMCA OW class back in 1986. 3rd edition, but it has the same info on the kicks. I went and dug it out and reread parts of it after reading this post. It's really amazing how far we've come in just the last 19 years. Thanks for the memories...

80-90% of my kicks are frog kicks. My Aqualuang Rocket Fin works great.

The fin works great with scissor kicks too even having to fight currents.

steve2281:
This could be a good thread. I'd like to hear some more about what fins are favorites for frog kicking.

Hi Allison, remember me from NC last Aug??? Can you back up with those split fins???
steve

I dove with you, right?
What do you mean "back up those splits"? Back up? I don't back up as well as with my Jets, but all other kick styles are as good or better in the splits. It could just be that I haven't perfected the best technique yet for the splits and backing up.

I use the frogkick(modified) almost exclusively...even on veggie-dives around here the bottom is covered with organic silt so the flutter isn´t really a good way to go except when in ripping currents...

I have both Aqualung Blades (old version) and SP Jetfins (kinda new). I bought the jets ´cause my blades were so long I had trouble making turns inside wrecks without brushing against walls...anyways with my jets I found that I only need to "scull" about half as often as with my blades. I´m really amazed at the power of the jets and don´t think I´ll use my blades again...

Hmmmm, not sure what you would call my style of kicking...my right leg goes up the left goes down, (or is it the other way around? i don't consciously think about it, i'll check tomorrow and get back to y'all) its not the flutter because its always the same leg up and the same leg down. Only use the flutter when chasing down some dimwit who is going into a current or something...
Other than that i am extremely lazy, i don't care how fast i can go. Thats why i use Cressi full foot freediving fins (insert comments here)

Saying that, i only have to kick about half as often as others, like i said, i'm lazy. :eyebrow:
Real easy to back up too.

Back
Top Bottom