Khao Lak Scuba Advanture Similan Island liveaboard on Manta Queen II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candy??? I can assure you that while crew may think you're "sweet" on some level, they will also be somewhat offended that you think they are so childlike that they can be bought by passing out candy.

You should have seen the hit the donuts were that we brought to the dive team on Bikini, and the beef jerky on Chuuk, and the tootsie roll pops on Yap (in between their betel nut), and the lemon drops in the Solomons, Lembeh….., and the Pinot noir (knew about that in advance) in………. And, how happy I was today when someone brought in Christmas cookies.......

Point taken. You're all kids at heart then (and that's probably not a bad thing)!

I still contend, though, that at least in Asia the locals who make up the boat crews (and to whom the money in the tip jar goes on most boats) may smile and think you're kind, but to them candy really isn't a tip. Passing candy out may give you the warm and fuzzies, but it shouldn't be considered a reward for good service to any extent at all. On what do I base this? Well in the 12 years I've resided in SE Asia, I've brought back lots of stuff to give to my local staff as thanks for keeping things going during my absence, and any sort of edible gift evinces far less enthusiasm than a bonus, without a doubt.

Western staff, on the other hand (and westerners make up a large portion of dive staff here) may enjoy imported treats. Even hard-to-get items like a good chunk of cheese can be special to the right person. One of my customers brought me cookies last year as a gesture of kindness, and I very much appreciated the thought behind the gesture. However, it's pretty hard to guess just what any particular person might be yearning for, and there's never any question that money is always useful. And to be completely honest, the cookies I received must not have made a huge impression since I stuck them in the cupboard and forgot all about them until I straightened up the cupboard a couple of weeks ago and found them there, still unopened!

First of all, leave the gloves at home. The water is so warm you don't need any gloves at all, and I personally think they should be banned from our waters altogether to discourage divers from grabbing on to the reef (not that you do this, but if one person is allowed to wear gloves for no good reason, then everybody has to be allowed to wear gloves, and the outcome is seeing people grabbing the reef).

???, in Similan Island nacional park is not allowed to wear gloves since years ago, if a boat is allowing that is doing something illegal, but who is not doing something illegal in such a bad natural reserve full of fishing boats fishing sharks and mantas??

???, in Similan Island nacional park is not allowed to wear gloves since years ago, if a boat is allowing that is doing something illegal, but who is not doing something illegal in such a bad natural reserve full of fishing boats fishing sharks and mantas??

Unfortunately the same seems to apply to most things in Thailand. Whilst people are making money today nobody seems to care about how their activities are affecting the environment and other people around them. Or indeed dont seem to think where their precious money will come from in the future when everything has been damaged and tourists stop coming.

Yes, completely unnecesarry for recreational divers in the water temperatures that are experienced in Thailand.

Gloves are allowed BTW, IMO unfortunately.
I'd been over there with several companies and all are saying in the briefings that Gloves are not allowed because National Park Rules, since 3 years ago, but maybe you are right and is just a way to make the things easier and not to receive complains because they are not allowing that.
Anyway i guess that the rules have to start from the individuals and the liveaboard rules. Is really Sad to see constantly people (mostly Japanesse and Russians) destroying everything, staying over the coral, breaking sea fans to take a better picture of a Ghost Pipefish and the guides allowing that. Where is starting and finishing the responsability of each person?
If you are working as Trip Leader of a Liveaboard i think is your responsability to have rules, like not to dive with gloves, not to stand over the coral, not to touch anything, not to chase anything (like the mantas), if you say that in the main briefing everybody is gonna have a better behavior, and if not you can always warning them and if still doing the same punish them not diving the next dive (is working!!)

I'd been over there with several companies and all are saying in the briefings that Gloves are not allowed because National Park Rules, since 3 years ago, but maybe you are right and is just a way to make the things easier and not to receive complains because they are not allowing that.
Anyway i guess that the rules have to start from the individuals and the liveaboard rules. Is really Sad to see constantly people (mostly Japanesse and Russians) destroying everything, staying over the coral, breaking sea fans to take a better picture of a Ghost Pipefish and the guides allowing that. Where is starting and finishing the responsability of each person?
If you are working as Trip Leader of a Liveaboard i think is your responsability to have rules, like not to dive with gloves, not to stand over the coral, not to touch anything, not to chase anything (like the mantas), if you say that in the main briefing everybody is gonna have a better behavior, and if not you can always warning them and if still doing the same punish them not diving the next dive (is working!!)
Totally agree with you, I even send divers up to the surface if I don't like their behaviour under water, whether they are diving with me or somebody else. And believe me, they listen, even if they are diving from a different boat :)

I know this is ~10 months later, but I'll also be heading to Khao Lak for diving and am curious about bootie thickness. I'm a CA kelp diver with 5mm soled booties and am thinking about getting 6mm women's Deep See Atlantics. Will 6mm booties be too warm for Thailand? I'm not sure how to judge my temperature coming from CA to somewhere so much warmer, but I'd guess that I run cool. 6mm sounds like it'll be toasty and nice... but I don't want to fry! Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom