Khao Lak Scuba Advanture Similan Island liveaboard on Manta Queen II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done over 100 dives with them over the years. you will have a blast. I dove the entire time with no wetsuit (28-30c) so bring a 3mm max. depends how big of a wuss you are though. When you go be sure to mention Oren says hi. Try to dive with Dan, DMO, or Neel they are awesome. Their night dives are done around 6 so you will not need a super light. No need for a SMB your guide will have/use one. Snorkel? I guess if you want during the SI they stop at the islands. If you want to be a big hero TIP ahead of time. I usually give the crew box 1000bht ($30) and my guide for the trip 1000bht. A lot of Europeans are cheap and don;t tip so fi you do you will have an even better experience. Bring a Micro fibre towel packs better and dries faster.

Oren, thank you for the tips. I will sure mention you say hi

By "tip ahead of time", do you mean before the first dive on the very first day? And 1000thb for crew and 1000thb for guide, is that for the entire 4D/4N live aboard?

Yes, snorkel is for fooling around in SI time. :)

By "tip ahead of time", do you mean before the first dive on the very first day? And 1000thb for crew and 1000thb for guide, is that for the entire 4D/4N live aboard?

How bizare! I always understood that a tip was a gratuity in return for good service recieved.
If it is now being treated by some as a pre requisite additional payment to get the service for which you have already paid for, and indeed from comments made appear to take care of those that make additional up front payments in a different manner to other customers. I would look for another operator.

How bizare! I always understood that a tip was a gratuity in return for good service received.

I have to agree. Most of the boats I've been on have a tip jar for the crew to which your attention is drawn at the end of the trip. I think your contribution thereto should reflect the service you received during the journey.

As for the guide, it is my habit to let them know early on what sort of diving I like to do and what sort of stuff I like to see. My end-of-trip tip is based on how well my expectations were met.

Also my understanding of the tip jar system is that the money contained is split between all staff and not just your dive guide. Boat captains, cooks, cleaners etc are all equally important to providing us with a memorable trip.

Do the dive guides get a share of the tip jar? I thought it was usually just for the non-dive crew.

It varies by boat. Even for us on the White Manta, the tip box goes to the boat crew only. If you want to give your guide something extra, it is always welcome. On the Black Manta, we use a different approach. The tip box is split evenly between the boat crew, guides and cruise director. Most boats or shops I have ever been diving with have told customers what the story on tips is before departure.

I wait until the end for financial tips. However, I usually bring one or two bags of good candy that at the beginning of the cruise I give to the boat crew, dive guides, etc.

I wait until the end for financial tips. However, I usually bring one or two bags of good candy that at the beginning of the cruise I give to the boat crew, dive guides, etc.
Candy??? I can assure you that while crew may think you're "sweet" on some level, they will also be somewhat offended that you think they are so childlike that they can be bought by passing out candy.

Pazz, I would not be offended and I am easily bought with candy. Give it to me and I'll take care of the other crew. :D

Actually, I always thought candy, cake, wine or some hard to come by supplies given at the beginning of the trip is a decent gesture that helps keep the crew thinking of you. It shouldn't replace a tip (IMHO), if warranted at the end of the trip, but I felt this way whether a customer, guide/instructor or cruise director.

Back
Top Bottom