KeyStorm & America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeanne001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We are thinking about going to the St. Lawrence River this weekend and dive the Keystorm and the America w/ Hunts Dive Shop. I've been reading other posts and some posters says they are advanced dives. For some in our group that will be no problem. As for myself and my husband, I would not call us advanced divers. I guess I would call us intermediate divers.

We've done a couple of drift dives when we were in Mexico. But that is about it for current anyway. I am all for challenging myself to make me a better diver, but I do not want to ask for trouble. Any comments? Also, any info on Hunts would be appreicated too.

Jeanne

The currents can be swift at times depending if they let water out through the locks. Bring a reel and lift bag and know how to deploy them. If you get blown off the wreck you will need them. Many dives will require them for the boat pickup.

Hi
The current theses days has been strong , but can very quickly change.....I would consider it an advanced dive....but I am no expert and everyones dive skills are different......have fun....dive safe

The currents aren't really an issue with these two dives. Heading out form the bottom of the line of the America to the drop point may have some as it's a shoal at about 30ft but it's quite rocky and the mooring lines are solid and you can hold them all the way down. If the current is stiff you can hand hold the rocks all the way over to the drop. On the America your bigger issues is prop wash from any freighters that happen to pass over you . The America is just shy of the shipping channel so if you start to hear a loud pulsating noise find something to hold onto :wink: Also stay well off the bottom at the America site as the bottom silt is thinly covering many patched of oil from this over tuned wreck.
Current on the Keystorm? Never really noticed much of one and essentially due to the wrecks orientation it blocks most of it. If you really need to you can hand over hand the line from the bow to the upline mooring as well as using the rocks along the shoal to the upline. Both of these wrecks are fantastic and I suspect you'll have a great time.
As mentioned above have a safety sausage that you can deploy in the event you do get blown off.
You mentioned you're not "advanced" divers so keep in mind the America bottoms out at around 80ft and the Keystorm at a good 120 or so at the prop, however both wrecks have plenty to see at much shallower depths, also the low vis/light and creepy green tinge can cause folks not used to it to burn through air a bit quicker so keep an eye on your gauges.
Have a great time!

Try the A.E. Vickery as a warm-up if you have time. The current on the way down is incredible but almost non-existent on the deck. I've dealt with Hunt's in the past and they've always been pretty good.

The Keystorm and America are awesome shipwrecks. I have done them numerous times and have never found the current very swift.

As mentioned for the Keystorm, you just follow the line down to the wreck. If the current is a little hard to swim against the entire length of the wreck, we have been advised by our captain to go hand over hand on the wreck. You just drift back to the line and back up to your boat. Just take notice and remember which of the two lines you came down, as the surface current can be swift if you try to swim to your boat from the wrong line, and you really don't want to do that. The Keystorm is up to 120 feet deep and has sometimes almost no current and sometimes a mild to medium current, and that is why it is an advanced dive.

The America is in the shipping channel, and should be treated as an overhead environment for that reason. You do not want to surface anywhere except the line and you need to watch/listen for boat traffic, particularly freighters. The America was blasting the shipping channel and sank when it accidentally blew itself up, and that's why parts of it are scattered. Again, you just follow the line to the bits and pieces, and follow the anchor chain to the wreck, which is quite nice. I have never experienced much current at this site. It is considered an advanced dive because of the depth and somewhat dangerous location considering boat traffic.

The visibility in the St Lawrence can be 100 feet, but this summer, with all the rain, the vis has only been about 30 - 40 feet, depending on the area. There is no thermocline and the bottom temp in the summer is in the mid-70's. The current on your U.S. side seems to be nothing compared to what we get on the Canadian side, like the Daryaw and the Lillie Parsons, which are sometimes impossible to kick against and can rip your mask off if you look the wrong way. There are lines or chains to pull yourself along these wrecks, and then you drift back. Those are definitely for not only advanced divers but very experienced divers, due to the extreme currents and depth.

Our Canadian boats go through your U.S. customs by Boldt Castle and we always love to visit the Keystorm, America and Vickery. If you are an advanced, comfortable, experienced diver, then those dives should be appropriate.

Hope that helps in making your decision. :wink:

The A.E. Vickery is a pretty intense dive..... Pulling yourself along the mooring line, everything seems to be dark with nothing around or in sight, current is pulling your body away while your hands grip tight to the line, then the big payoff...... all of a sudden you're there. The bow sits right there beautifully illuminated in about 85 ft..... The rest of the ship fades away into what appears to be complete darkness. IMHO the vickery is about as challenging as the keystorm..... both can have surface currents that are really swift

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom