Keys trip suggestions February 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for suggestions (or warnings) on dive ops in the following locations.

Planning on diving the Keys in February. Current plan is 2 days in Key West, 3 days in the middle keys and 4 days out of Tavernier/Key Largo.

We dive pretty hard 4-5 per day, so when we get to the Key Largo area I know there are some good multi-dive deals with folks like Silent World and Conch Republic.

Last time we were in the Largo area we spent a lot of time with Quiescense which was a good experience.

All good operators mentioned- also try Jeff Jarvis at HMS Minnow - located behind the Holiday Inn in Key Largo

(26' boat; takes 6 max; excellent operator - have used him for years)

I am looking for suggestions (or warnings) on dive ops in the following locations.

Planning on diving the Keys in February. Current plan is 2 days in Key West, 3 days in the middle keys and 4 days out of Tavernier/Key Largo.

We dive pretty hard 4-5 per day, so when we get to the Key Largo area I know there are some good multi-dive deals with folks like Silent World and Conch Republic.

Last time we were in the Largo area we spent a lot of time with Quiescense which was a good experience.

My son and I dove with Florida Keys Dive Center. They were a great group of guys and very professional. They are out of Islamorada/Tavernier.

Southpoint Divers in Key West is best. Don't waste your time or money with any other operations in Key West, you'll thank me later.:D

I made some dives with the folks at Conch Republic a few weeks ago.
Had a nice day, good folks and nice boat with lots of room.
I will be diving with them next time I get down there

if you want to dive 3-5 times a day, on the kind of sites that YOU want to dive....custom charter is the only way to go.

most of the cattle boats only do specific sites.

my suggestion is Home

he can handle up to 6 divers, and will meet you at whatever ramp or dock you want. you can dive the sites you want, with the profiles you want (nobody preaching XX time...XX depth blah blah).

his rates are comparable to cattle boats (cheaper depending on # of divers) but with a personal touch, and you usually get more dives.

if you do contact him...mention my name...he'll probably make a wise ass comment about me. :wink:

if you want to dive 3-5 times a day, on the kind of sites that YOU want to dive....custom charter is the only way to go.

most of the cattle boats only do specific sites.

my suggestion is Home

he can handle up to 6 divers, and will meet you at whatever ramp or dock you want. you can dive the sites you want, with the profiles you want (nobody preaching XX time...XX depth blah blah).

his rates are comparable to cattle boats (cheaper depending on # of divers) but with a personal touch, and you usually get more dives.

if you do contact him...mention my name...he'll probably make a wise ass comment about me. :wink:

I second this choice if you are planning to run up and down the Keys for diving. This is a Chaptain that knows the Keys like the back of his hand. Most people here in the Keys that dive or spearfish know him and we all have the utmost respect for him.
He is a friend to everyone and alot of fun to spend the day with.:D

Welcome
icosm07.gif
Nice to see you Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom