keys shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reef is too far off shore and very shallow. Shore diving is decent starting from Dania Beach and moving north. The reef is shallow, but very close to shore. At LBTS, it takes less than 3 minutes to swim to.

Actually the shore-accessible reefs are excellent from about Hallandale to Pompano. We dove Hollywood (s. of Dania Beach) yesterday and it was awesome.

You could actually SCUBA within Pennekamp Park but you won't see much. I used to take my mask and fins there in my bicycle basket so that I could swim laps with fins to build endurance. The water within Pennekamp is shockingly cold so if you are trying to SCUBA dive it, take a wetsuit...and be prepared to see very little.

On the other hand...I highly recommend putting on an exposure suit, leaving the tanks in the car, and snorkeling along the mangroves within Pennekamp. It's a couple of inches deep and teeming with life. It's where the juvies live when they are growing up, you will see adorable two inch long baraccuda for instance. I've taken friends to do that many times and they have had manatees come up to them.

Debby,
Where in Hollywood, are you talking about the South End of the Dania Pier parking lot? Curious what area you liked best as I'm always in search of new beach diving locations (and I live in East Hollywood) :)

The South End of the Dania Parking Lot happens to be in Dania Beach. :)

If you check the other thread you will see that some of us had some AWESOME dives off Johnson Street on Saturday. Over the past 25 years I've made lots of beach dives off Hollywood. Basically find a parking spot and swim East. Can't remember ever being disappointed. I've dived some of the streets south of the Broadwalk and many of the streets just north of North Beach Park at Sheridan. Hang out there and find divers coming out of the water and ask them what they saw. I can't promise that the hurricanes and beach restoration haven't made an impact, but the reefs off Johnson St. this weekend were AWESOME.

I virtually live on johnson! :)

So is it similar to the dania ledge? About 300 yards offshore or so?

Although I've lived in Dania Beach for 7 years I have actually never dived the Dania Beach parking lot! So I can't answer your question, but I do urge you to try diving anywhere from Hallandale North to the inlet. South Broward diving can be a long swim out but it sure can be rewarding!!!

And if we continue this discussion it needs to be moved from the Keys Shore Diving topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom