Keys in Winter ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cra2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What are the conditions like in the Keys over the holidays (dec.)?
Viz, water temps at depth, current, etc.

tanks,
cra2

cra2:

tanks,
cra2

I'm NOT the expert here. I have made two winter trips to the Keys in the last two years. One the end of November, and the other in January. On each occasion, I have been diving. Found the water to be warm (but not as warm as in the summer) and found a 3 mil steamer to be plenty of suit. On each trip, I got 'blown out' at least one day, due to high winds and rough seas. Vis on those trips have been from 75+ to 10 feet or so, depending on sea conditions.

With each trip, I have found that even a 'bad' day of diving is better than a 'good' day at work, so I have enjoyed both trips.

Hope this is some help....

Tractor Tom

Until the end of November, the water is still pretty nice. After that, the Winter winds can come at any time. So, there will be days of high seas more often in the Winter than in the Summer.

cra2:

tanks,
cra2
Accommodations are pricey and scarce during the Holidays... especially from Christmas thru New Years Day. Figure on wind, waves, and water temps in the low 70's. Bring a dry bag packed with towels and dry clothing (fleece works great) to keep you warm on the way back to the dock; and plan on visiting Everglades National Park on the day your trip gets blown out... it's awesome in December! Current is not a seasonal phenomenon... it's usually stronger at the deep sites, and weaker at the shallow sites. Enjoy!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom