Keys In September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

folivier

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wife and I are planning to rent a condo for month of September. Probably near Marathon or Islamorada.
What water temps and visibility can we expect?
Also plan to do some snorkeling near whatever place we rent. Any suggestions on snorkeling without a boat?
We may have our adult sons and their girlfriends visit for a week and they would like to try either scuba or snuba, any suggestions for either resort courses or snuba?
Which dive shops would you suggest for 2 older divers who prefer shallower dives?

WELL, we are also Cajun "older divers". It's nice to see someone else from Louisiana posting :wink:

We have been visiting the Keys multiple times per year since 2001. In my humble opinion, September is one of the best months to dive there. That is, of course, providing that there are no tropical storms on the horizon. Water temps will be in the mid 80's and vis will be respectable.

Sorry, but I don't have any local knowledge of Islamorada or Marathon snorkeling. I do know there are shallower sites available to dive there. The only op I personally know of is Islamorada Dive Center: Islamorada Dive Center | Florida Keys Diving Their website shows that they offer snorkeling trips as well.

Good luck with your planning and have a great time!

Thanks CajunDiva. Looks like no one has any opinions on the keys!
We're looking at a condo in Key Largo, Marathon, and Islamorada. A couple are on the Atlantic and others are on the Gulf side. Since we'll be there a month we won't be diving every day but will be able to check out different operators in different areas. Kinda like being in the middle keys so we'll be closer to visit Key West and Pennekamp and everything in between.

Looe Key and Sombrero Reef are very good sites for snorkeling, shallow dives and snuba in the middle keys. Went to sombrero with Keys Huka Dive, which I would not recommend. Went to Looe Key with Looe Key Reef Resort & Dive Center, which I would recommend!

Hi, September is awesome in the Keys! You can certainly snorkel anywhere. Meaning that you can put mask, fins and snorkel on and get wet. However, you won't see anything unless you go out on a boat, as the barrier reefs are 3-6 miles offshore. You could stay in the middle Keys and drive up for the day for snorkeling. The best, meaning shallowest and clearest, snorkeling is off Key Largo.

You can expect the warmest water temps of the season and excellent visibility unless....we have a hurricane.

I recommend Conch Republic Divers in Tavernier for a Discover Diving (aka "resort course") or for shallow dives.

I actually enjoy snorkeling in Florida Bay. Check out the mangroves for seahorses and the grass flats for other goodies. You can snorkel off of Canon Beach in September as long as the water's not too hot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom