Keys in early/mid November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markfm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My good Goatfish is coming back to CNY after surviving Taxachusetts.

I enjoyed the Keys back in Dec '05, a trip Dandydon had shepherded. We're overdue for a getaway week, catch some dives in warm climes, but I'm cheap by nature (I said that she's a good Goatfish, not a great Goatfish!), don't want to spend too much on this vacation, was thinking the Keys might be good.

Is the weather generally decent by then, pretty much cleared the big storm season?

Any suggestions if the Hungry Pelican is full?

I know at least one op does the 10 dive packages -- are there more than 1 who do this?

Any good spots for shore/night dives?

Thanks!

Speargirl (Becky) has a great condo deal...and having the kitcehn available sure cuts down on meal costs...

Hurricane season officially ends November 30.

There isn't really any shore diving off the Keys. You can get wet but the only thing to see are juvenile fishies in the mangroves.

A-men to speargirl's condo and townhouse rentals...you can save a fortune, not to mention a lot of TIME, if you cook your own food. It's just more relaxing for us to stay there than to deal with a motel and restaurants.

I think the dive operators all pretty much have packages and everyone's prices are very competitive. The difference is in how many they take out and the amount of excellent customer service that some of them give.

Enjoy your trip to the Fabulous Florida Keys!!

No problem on the shore diving -- I didn't think there was any.
I'm thinking of Silent World -- a buddy I did DM with works for them I believe.
Guess we'll have to take our chances on the weather -- trying for a getaway shortly after Goatfish moves back, before she starts working somewhere around here.

markfm:
No problem on the shore diving -- I didn't think there was any.
I'm thinking of Silent World -- a buddy I did DM with works for them I believe.
Guess we'll have to take our chances on the weather -- trying for a getaway shortly after Goatfish moves back, before she starts working somewhere around here.

All of October and early November is a slower season in the Keys, hotels rates should be as good as they'll get.

Silent World has a very good rep and Pat contributes frequently here in the Conch Forum but Rainbow Reef matches their package prices I think as well.

Cristal Clear Charters and Conch Republic Divers are favorites with myself and many others here as well.

Excellent information, thanks!

I'd second the recommendations on Conch Republic and Cristal Clear. Silent World and Rainbow Reef are both good ops as well.

The Hungry Pelican is running $60-$70 a night for a double bed room and no kitchen. If you want even a mini kitchen you start at $110 a night.

Talk to Speargirl about a condo. It is a great way to save some money even if it's just breakfast and lunch in the room, and going out to dinner. Me, I like to cook so it's a great option.

fisheyeview:
The Hungry Pelican is running $60-$70 a night for a double bed room and no kitchen. If you want even a mini kitchen you start at $110 a night.

Be aware that the Hungry Pelican's $60 dollar rooms are the the size of the double bed- no joke. I stay in them all the time, but they are very, very, very small. They are great when I drive down on Friday night after work, arrive in the Keys at 10:00 PM, crash, get up early to dive and drive home . Staying for a week in a walk-in-closet would be kinda rough.

Don't think "small" -- call them "cozy" :)
Back in '05 it was cool to see why they called my place the Gecko Room :)

I will contact speargirl -- thanks for the suggestion.

If the lower price rooms at Hungry Pelican are booked, we at Silent World offer a great rate at the Suites of Key Largo (if you are diving with us). The 2 level rooms with 2 baths, eat in kitchen, and screen porch go for $99.00 plus tax a night to $109 a night (depending on when you are booking them.

Pat

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom