Keys Forecast Oct. 24-25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NOAA and every other agency missed this one.
the front came in early.
It was great diving this weekend down here.

Chug
Stuck at work Saturday, and took a pass on Sunday.

NOAA and every other agency missed this one.
the front came in early.
It was great diving this weekend down here.

Chug
Stuck at work Saturday, and took a pass on Sunday.

Yeah, I saw where Randy Jordan took a nice shot at the forecast - "Nice out today. A NOAA prediction is like a guy boasting to a girl, 'its 5 - 7 with an occasional 9.' In reality, its 3 - 5 and mostly calm!"

Friday was definitely not looking pretty - overcast and I drove through some significant rain on my way down to Key Largo - but the Cheeca View went out with just the four of us aboard plus one rebreather diver. We were the only boat out there, so the five of us had the Spiegel Grove all to ourselves with very little current and maybe 50-60 feet of viz. Did both dives and saw more of the ship than I've ever seen in one go; it was the first time I made it down to the bottom and swam under the stern gate. There was a good-sized goliath camped out on the bow that let me make a few close video passes. Conditions were a little bumpy but not bad on the way out; the way in was a bit more lively and we were all huddled up near the helm to stay out of the wind and rain. The only real downer was finding a f****ing lionfish on the deck near the portside crane and being unable to get the bastard. Not sure what the new rules are for shooting lionfish in MPAs, but I'd appreciate it if someone found and cashiered that thing. Given how he was scooting away as I approached he's probably been shot at before.

Saturday on the Vandenburg though I had my revenge; I'll post the pics once I get them off my GoPro because I left him down there as a warning to the others. Again, a bit bumpy on the way out and bumpier on the way back in; the rear deck of the Sea Eagle was getting sprayed down enough on the return to send everybody to the upper deck or downstairs. Moderate current, about 30 feet of viz, and lots of moon jellies up top. Traversing the ascent line was like playing Frogger. Again, got to cover a lot of the wreck in two dives. Overall - not as much of a Holy S*** Quotient as my usual West Palm and Jupiter outings, but a nice excuse to take a long weekend and go diving with friends.

As for Fantasy Fest - well, now I can say I've been there. Fun to watch, but I'm kind of past the whole Duval Crawl bit that ensued afterwards.

Nice video...thanks for posting.

Did anyone take out the dang lionfish that was chewing on the skeleton?

Before I stuck it in the skeleton's jaw I put a 6-prong tip through its head and my buddy brained it with a BFK. Although in the spirit of Halloween I suppose I could have shot it with a silver powerhead, staked it through the heart, cut its head off, and stuck some garlic in there ...

Halcyon,

Good job...you got rid of that freaking invader Lionfish at the right time.... and saved that silver power head for more important stuff!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom