Keys fishing and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffromonty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking at taking a trip to the Keys for fishing and diving, what Key would best work for blue water fishing and diving? Or is this not really possible for both? Thanks for any advice.

Can't speak for any of the other keys, but I did both in the same weekend here about a month ago. Caught some nice dolphin on Saturday and dived on Sunday.

It's pretty easy getting around the Keys. I've stayed on Marathon many times and drove to Conch Republic Divers on Islamorada in the morning in less than 45 minutes. Getting to Key West was also easy but traffic slows significantly once you enter that Key if you are trying to get to a dive boat like Capt's Corner which is near downtown.

I don't know much about fishing but there are a lot of charters up and down the Keys. I doubt you'll have trouble finding one.

From a diving perspective, you can stay almost anywhere if you have wheels. with that said, Key Largo has some really nice diving and if you can verify the fishing is good, I'd stay there.

Last edited:
The two best fishing destinations for blue water are probably Islamorada and Key West. If you want to combine diving, Islamorada is to me the best choice,because I give the edge to the diving in the upper keys. You are close to Pennekamp, you are close to wrecks like the Spiegal Grove and Duanne and Eagle, to name a few. There are great hotels and restaurants all around that area, and you are close to great dive ops like Conch Republic, Silent World, Rainbow Reef, and Quiesence. You can blue water fish and dive in the very same day if you want.

That sounds great I found Islamorada in some of my searches. Thanks for the info, still looking for more though.

I would fish Islamorada, and drive up to Key Largo for diving. It is about a 20 minute drive tops. Diving seems to be a little better up there. After all the call Islamorada the fishing capital and Key Largo the diving capital.

If you decide on Islamorada, check out Ocean Pointe Suites: the condos are pretty nice and if you split the cost of a two bedroom with a buddy, the price per diver is reasonable. Conch Republic Divers is on the very north side of Islamorada, and it is a top notch shop and boat(s)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom