Keys Diving - February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water temp will be in the low 70's - I've already broken out the 5Mil, and the temp today in Jupiter was 78, but I hate being cold

Your big "issue" that time of year will be cold fronts that can make the seas real rough or cancel diving completely for a day or two - perhaps longer. OTOH, Some of the best viz I have experienced is during winter

Current is there year 'round, however you can normally find a diveable spot. I find it to be more of an issue on the wrecks vs the reefs. Its not any worse during the winter in the Keys

2 great operators in Key Largo and Taverner are HMS Minnow and Conch Republic; in Miami try RJ Diving Ventures - all have web sites you can review for more info

Thanks for the info Jupiter......We all have 5 mil suits so I guess staying warm won't be an issue. The high seas from cold fronts we can't contol so only time will tell. Are the seas any better during a front farther down twords Key West? Any recommendations ? Key Largo, Islamorada, Marathon or Key West?

A little bump up. The wife and I are heading to Florida to visit the in-laws and are looking to do some good reef diving as well. Miami area? The Keys? What's the best bet?

melt. The upper keys would be my choice. Islamorada, or Key Largo. There is plenty to see underwater, and withing a two hour drive from Miami, providing your not in rush hour trafic, or a wreck on US1. The reefs are fairly shallow,which gives you quite a bit of bottom time. The wrecks of the Spiegle, Dwane, and Bibb are also fantastic to see. Also the vis. is usually well over 40ft. The weather as mentioned above could be a pain, anytime Ive planned on going down its usually pretty crappy with high winds from a front, but then everytime Ive just gone down with absolutely no planning its been great. those two areas Ive mentioned have quite a bit of dive operators that can get you in the water. Im sure you will get quite a few other options from others that like the areas around Lauderdale.

providing your not in rush hour trafic, or a wreck on US1.
Attention anyone heading to the Keys. Ever! This is what you should do.
  1. Take the very last Turnpike exit.
  2. Whip out the cell phone.
  3. Dial 5-1-1.
  4. When it asks what route, say "Overseas Highway". Listen to what it says.
  5. Then say "Card Sound Road". Listen to what it says.
  6. Based on what it says, choose a route. Note that Card Sound Road is a few miles longer and costs a buck at the bridge.
Not foolproof, but if one or the other is closed it will tell you. Of course if it closes when you are 9/10 of the way down and the closed portion is ahead of you...it sucks to be you.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom