Keys and snokling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SNAPDRAGON

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, My husband and I are headed for the keys in two weeks so I can do my OWs. He's not a diver but does like to snorkle. I'm looking for a few good beach access spots with in about an hour of Key West. Any tips? thanks :cheering:

SNAPDRAGON:
Hey, My husband and I are headed for the keys in two weeks so I can do my OWs. He's not a diver but does like to snorkle. I'm looking for a few good beach access spots with in about an hour of Key West. Any tips? thanks :cheering:

Snapdragon,

I'm Diving Key West Next Week on Leave with My Wife..I'll definately let You know if I find anything of interest for You. I'm hitting a couple of shops that I know and I'll give You some input..I'll be back on Scubaboard on or around the 5th of May.

features one of the best natural beaches around, with nearshore depths of 10-12 feet at the edge of the roped-off oceanside swimming area. There's another swimming area on the Gulfside, with loads of juvenile tropicals hiding out amongst the rocks. Enjoy!

Another vote for Bahia Honda. Saw eagle rays, barracudas, lobsters. Lots of sponges and stuff for little critters to hide in.

If you go on a boat, perhaps it is one that handles both divers and snorkelers. I have seen this on the Keys.

KeyLargoBrent:
features one of the best natural beaches around, with nearshore depths of 10-12 feet at the edge of the roped-off oceanside swimming area. There's another swimming area on the Gulfside, with loads of juvenile tropicals hiding out amongst the rocks. Enjoy!
Gulf or ocean side? I was there a month ago and the beach was, well, gone on the ocean side (didn't check out the other side). You couldn't lay your towel out between the plants and the water. I only went out a few hundred yards, but didn't see much except grass. Either way, be sure to wear soled water-shoes - sharp coral/rocks abound. Also, the sand flies were so thick, nobody there stayed very long - we went to Marathon beach instead (1 island north) - great beach, nice sand, grassy area with showers, but not much snorkeling.

It's in a different category, but we rented a little runabout and went out to Sombrero Reef lighthouse. There's moorings you can pick up and it was the best snorkeling we did in the keys.

KeyLargoBrent:

I've read a bit about Bahia Hondo in NG travel guide and it did sound like one of the better areas...Is there any where to get a map of the island any where on line that would indicate various beach locations that you know of? :cheering:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom