Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mgnau

Registered
Reaction score
We are visiting the Keys in July. Does anyone have any recomendations on Key West ? We have dove Largo but would like to also see whats going on in Key West. All we have heard is stay away unless you like seeing sand. Is this true ?

Mgnau:
We are visiting the Keys in July. Does anyone have any recomendations on Key West ? We have dove Largo but would like to also see whats going on in Key West. All we have heard is stay away unless you like seeing sand. Is this true ?

Nah- thats not true. Key West diving is pretty average, but far better than not diving at all. It is worth a morning or MAYBE two, but after three or four dives I found that I had pretty much seen all there is to see down there.

Use Southpoint divers- good people.

Mgnau:

As far as diving in the keys goes, many of the other keys offer much better diving than Key West (Key largo's Pennecamp Reserve, and Looe Key Marine Sanctuary). If you are looking for the nightlife, than Key West is the place to be. IF you are looking for good diving in Key west my suggestion would be to see if you can find someone running a trip to the Dry Tortugas. It is going to be pricy, but other than that in Key West you are likely looking at diving in 20feet from a cattle boat packed with 25-50 first time snorklers- NOT a pretty sight.

If you have a car, driving up to the Big Pine Key area to dive Looe Key is definatly worth the drive. But in the keys you always want to ask if they cater to snorklers, and how many divers/snorklers they allow on the boat.

All the dive ops in KW go to the same reefs and wrecks. Depending on how much equipment you are bringing with you, Captains Corner can be almost half the price some of the other dive ops charge. Conveniently located near the action on Duval St. :eyebrow: In the summer they do an afternoon Salvager wreck dive followed by a sunset SI and then a night dive that I've been wanting to try.

I've said this before in other threads, but KW is a fun place to party and maybe get some dives in but it isn't necessarily what you'd call a dive destination. OTOH, dive ops that do the reef at Looe Key are 20 miles up the overland highway from KW and it's well worth the short drive if you have a car available.

I agree with The Saint....Same reefs all of the time by everyone. Southpoint DOES seem to mix it up more then others but is a bit pricey. Captains Corner (whom I usually use) is about the least expensive of all of the operators.

When I was down at the beginning of the month, we did Rock Key and Eastern Dry Rocks both trips, not bad reefs, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Don't miss Looe Key Reef- Adolphus Busch is nearby if you want to do a wreck/reef combo. Halls in Marathon is a great operation that runs a variety of trips--and don't pass up the grouper sandwich at Schooner Warf in Key West when you get back

As the diving half of a golfer, sometimes, I Must compromize. and the fourth of July is it. I am going to Key West so the man can golf, then my son and I willfind water to dive in.my question is is there a resortin Key West that will occupy my love, so I can have the car and dive, I do not compromise too well any suggestions??

The only golf is Key West Golf Club, which is actually located on Stock Island -- exactly one island toward the mainland from KW. Take N Roosevelt back to the Overland, its about 5 miles from Duval St, probably a 15-20 minute drive. He can easily get a cab there and back. Of course like everything else on KW, the farther you are from Duval Street the cheaper the cabfare will be. :)

The course is OK but nothing to right home about (though the par three over the mangrove is kinda fun), but considering the next nearest golf is on Marathon you can't beat it (i.e. it's his only option). :D Definitely have him call and get a reservation. They also rent some fairly decent clubs if he doesn't care to bring his own down with him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom