Key West - Worth the drive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNDiverDan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello -

I am coming to South Florida next week and will have the weekend of Aug. 26-27 available to dive. I was thinking about driving from Miami (where I will be staying) to Key West to dive there. I have been to Key West before (never to dive, however), so I know how long the drive is. I just wanted to get some expert opinion on whether it is worth driving all that way to dive in Key West, or if there is better diving somewhere along the way (Key Largo?).

I have done some dives just north of Miami, so I am interested in something different.

I also should point out that I am somewhat of a beginner, more intermediate than beginner, but certainly not advanced (although I do have my Open Water Advanced cert.)

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

Thanks in advance.

MNDiverDan

When you were there before, did you notice how many more dive shops there were in Key Largo compaired the Key West? When I return next year to dive the keys, I am driving no further than Key Largo.

Having dove the entire keys I can say that there is great diving to be had from about MM21 up. Oceanside this translates to Looe Key up. There are some pretty reefs off of Key West, but it's not a guarantee that you'll end up on them. Unless you're planning on staying overnight, I wouldn't drive any further than Key Largo. If you are planning on overnighting, it's probably worth coming down and doing a 2-tank at Looe Key one day, then going up and diving Key Largo on the way back to Miami.

Ring up Brent at Bluewater Divers (KeyLargoBrent) and see what he has to say!

Rachel

Ditto what everyone else says. The hot diving islands are Key Largo, Tavernier, Islamorada, Marathon, and Big Pine/Summerland Keys (Looe Key). Don't forget Biscayne National Park above the keys, that can be really awesome!

Key Largo is definitely MUCH better diving. But Key West is more fun, especially if you're with non-divers. If you're used to diving rivers, lakes and quarries, then you might love Key West diving.

Hi,
Lived on my boat in Key West for over six years. I knew some 'secret places' but no where near where the charter boats go. Would strongly recommend Looe Key as the furthest south you should go for diving.
Your professed skill level further supports this observation. Lots of nice reefs and shallow wrecks (City of Washington off of Key Largo comes to mind) to have fun on.
Have fun and don't forget to follow up this thread with a trip report!
Cheers
Lee

I would go to Looe Key. We did something similar a couple of years ago and while the Key West dives were nice I would have been just as happy spending more time exploring the Marine Park at Looe Key. The dives are shallow but we saw a bunch of nurse sharks, barracuda and more tropicals than I can list here. My husband had said he liked Looe Key a lot better than Pennekamp. He was at Pennekamp 20 years ago and thought the reef was rather beat up then. Our DM said if he thought it was beat up 20 years ago he'd be disappointed seeing it now.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom