Key West in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alan in ATL

Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks....this is my first post here. Learning the ropes, so bear with me, please.

My family and I will be in Key West, FL the week of Easter. Been to the Keys, but never that far south. Any operators that you'd recommend more than others? Any to definitely avoid?

We're looking for your basic 2 tank dive trip to reefs/wrecks (100ft max.) Really interested in wrecks, but not sure if there are any worthwhile in that depth range.

I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Alan

Alan in ATL:
Hello folks....this is my first post here. Learning the ropes, so bear with me, please.

My family and I will be in Key West, FL the week of Easter. Been to the Keys, but never that far south. Any operators that you'd recommend more than others? Any to definitely avoid?

We're looking for your basic 2 tank dive trip to reefs/wrecks (100ft max.) Really interested in wrecks, but not sure if there are any worthwhile in that depth range.
Welcome to SB!

All the dive ops in KW do trips to the Cayman Salvager and Joe's Tug wrecks, weather/seas permitting, but maybe only every other day (ask ahead of time). Snorkelers can obviously only do the reefs, so rest assured that you will share the boat with snorkelers on the KW reef trips. Didn't bother me, but it does some people I guess. (shrug)

Captains Corner does a decent job for a reasonable price, they are right near the hustle and bustle that is Duval St., you'll need a cab or rental car to get to Dive Key West and Subtropic from the Duval area and they are more expensive besides. But they all run good operations. If you want to do the Adolphus Busch wreck and Looe Key reef Capt Jim Wyatt is just 20 miles from KW.

Get the Florida Keys DVD for $20 from Amazon if you'd like to see some footage of the Keys wrecks and reefs in advance. The production values aren't all that great but its worth the money for a diver who hasn't been, to get a feel for what to expect.

I used Sub-Tropic while there. Don't know how they compare cost-wise but I was happy with them. Also on Capt Jim Wyatt, while I've never dove with him, I've heard nothing but good things about him.

-mike

I've only used Captains Corner, they very reasonable! (nice boat/crew etc.) Their Kiosk is on the same property of one of the better food establishments on the Island IMHO! (if ya like no frills & seafood!) (that would be the Conch Farm, btw) I did a resort dive with them last July, and 2 dives with them this past November.

I'm thinking of trying either Subtropic or Southpoint Divers this time, although I have heard that Dive Key West is good also! (cousin used them Oct 2003)

btw...I'll be arriving Easter Monday..we may cross paths!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom