Key West Dive Site The Stargazer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracy_from_oz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Guys

I was reading online about diving and it mentioned a dive site in Key West Florida called the Stargazer site.

Stargazer Reef Sculpture - Information

"Constructed as an artificial reef on the sea bottom between Rock Key and Sand Key, the Stargazer Reef Sculpture by and artist named Ann Lorraine Labriola. Apparently it is ten steel pieces, each up to 6 tons and 168-feet long, which have been assembled to resemble a primitive navigational instrument. Symbols of the constellations cover the structure".

I was just wondering if anyone had ever dived it?
If so what is your impression of it and does it look like what it is supposed too?

I thought it just sounded a very interesting dive site.

Thanks.

I did 3 days in Key West last year and no one ever said anything about that site.

I dived it soon after Annie completed it. It is in shallow water northeast of Sand Key. That had to be at least 10 years ago. I thought it was pretty cool, but have no idea of its present condition.

It is still there. It does not get dove very often. Most divers on the charters want to do wrecks or reefs. I would not be surprised if many of the yuonger or newer captains are not familiar with it. We will take some of our dive classes from Florida Keys Community Collegeto this sight because we almost always have it to our selves. We can do either research diving or run rescue scenarios with out bothering others.

The depth is about 30 ft and the pieces are well encrusted. As is usuall in the lower keys the vis can vary. I have been there with 100+ ft vis and 10 ft vis. The pieces are big, but a couple of them still were moved in our hurricanes a couple of years ago.

The dive is interesting, but unless one is very detailed oriented 20 to 30 minutes is more than enough time. It sits in a sandy area.

Safe Dives
trtldvr
www.divealive.org

I'd never heard of this site either, but now have it on my list!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom