Key West bookings on short notice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kingsley Zissou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings all

I am off to Key West with the missus in about two weeks. I have dives booked for July 25th and we might be able to dive on the 26th as well but we are not 100% certain. We are travelling with non diving friends whom we will have to work around. This leads me to my question:

Given the time of year, would it be a huge P in the A to try to find a last minute charter on Key West the day before you want to dive?

Greetings all

I am off to Key West with the missus in about two weeks. I have dives booked for July 25th and we might be able to dive on the 26th as well but we are not 100% certain. We are travelling with non diving friends whom we will have to work around. This leads me to my question:

Given the time of year, would it be a huge P in the A to try to find a last minute charter on Key West the day before you want to dive?

Probably not but it's possible since that's a Saturday.

I don't think you'll have any problem getting on a boat last minute. What dive shop are you using?

Give Captains Corner a call, I've never had a problem getting on their boat (it's big, and sometimes a cluster____, but they always seem to have room)

However, I've heard that it's not in the water, but who knows if that's changed. Worth a shot.

We were in Key West the end of May and were able to book a trip when we arrived. We used Subtropic Dive Center.

We were in Key West the end of May and were able to book a trip when we arrived. We used Subtropic Dive Center.
I wouldn't touch Subtropic even if it were free. Just look up thier recent history. They used to be a great dive shop but not anymore. Just a couple of days ago thier Instructor crushed her toes while on the boat at the reef and the crew would not bring her back to the dock untill after the dive trip. Southpoint Divers was in the area and they brought her back for medical attention and from what I was told the bone was showing, thats just wrong:shakehead:.

Thanks for the input everybody?

We are booked with Bonsai Diving for the Friday morning dives. My wife and I are still very green and I have heard great things about captain Pete and how well he works with newbies. Bonsai usually does morning trips and we will only be able to dive in the afternoon on Saturday.

Pete is going to try to work something out for us, so if that works we will be diving with Bonsai again on Saturday. I am just trying to figure out a "plan B" going incase that falls through.

Thanks again

I wouldn't touch Subtropic even if it were free. Just look up thier recent history. They used to be a great dive shop but not anymore. Just a couple of days ago thier Instructor crushed her toes while on the boat at the reef and the crew would not bring her back to the dock untill after the dive trip. Southpoint Divers was in the area and they brought her back for medical attention and from what I was told the bone was showing, thats just wrong:shakehead:.

Just to clarify-
The instructor in question is a friend of mine, and i was sitting next to her when she dropped the weight on her foot. The captain offered to take her back to shore, but she didn't want to ruin everyone else's trip. She knew that Southpoint Divers were in the area, with a faster boat, on their way back to shore, so she asked to catch a ride with them. It was very nice of Southpoint to take her to shore, but the crew on Subtropic's boat was more than willing to do everything they could to make sure she was ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom