Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idratherbedivin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My family and I are going to visit Key Largo for 3 days in April. I am hoping that I will be able to do my Advanced Open Water class there. Does anyone have suggestions on a dive shop where I will learn as much as possible in that class and not just get the C-card. Also, should I call the dive shop ahead of time or just go when I get down there and ask then.

No recommendations on dive shops but you need to do 5 dives for aow. I'd suggest calling ahead as you may not be able to find an op on walk in that can do your aow in that amt of time and personally I'd be leery of one that said it could.

www.captianslate.com they have a PADI Coarse Director on the staff, as well as several great instructors, they do NAUI and PADI. give them a call, they are alot of fun, and the staff works hard to make sure you know what your doing.

airmanbaseball:
My family and I are going to visit Key Largo for 3 days in April. I am hoping that I will be able to do my Advanced Open Water class there. Does anyone have suggestions on a dive shop where I will learn as much as possible in that class and not just get the C-card. Also, should I call the dive shop ahead of time or just go when I get down there and ask then.
5 dives in 2 days (minimum) is what PADI AOW course standards stipulate. No formal "classroom sessions" are required. Academic learning is self-paced, and easily accomplished by reading a few chapters of text and completing a few Knowledge Reviews, ideally prior to making your training dives.

Your instructor will collect your Knowledge Reviews, go over anything that you might have missed, cover any questions that you may have, and supervise the practical portion of your training. You'll learn by doing... applying the concepts you've read about, and completing the performance requirements of each dive.

You should definitely call ahead for reservations. Speak to the instructor personally (if possible) and get a feel for whether or not you'll be able to learn effectively from him or her. Ask about experience, personality, teaching style, class size, and anything else you can think of that might affect the quality of your learning experience.

Dive often, have fun, and never stop learning!

airmanbaseball:
AIrmanbaseball,

He's too classy to say it directly, but I will - keylargobrent (see earlier post) would be my recommendation. We dove with him several weeks ago, and he was working with another family while we did a wreck dive. VERY knowledgable, patient, and thorough. He runs a small charter boat out of key largo an is a PADI instructor. See their web site at blue water divers (Link on his post). First class operation with personal attention, but they get booked fast.

Good choice to continue persuing training - especialy buoyancy control. Above all - have fun!

Thank you very much. I am very happy to know this. I just looked at the website and my family will be staying at the holiday inn so he will be really convenient. I'm glad that I know that I won't get some instructor who just gets me the c-card without teaching me.

OH man, the Holiday Inn is right next to their boat!!

DEFINATELY talk to KeyLargoBrent! I went with BlueWater at the beginning of January and they were great!

Good luck!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom