Key Largo Trip Report (part 2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sunday, April 15
Morning

Our last 2 dives for the weekend. Capt Bob decided that it looked good enough to take the 45 minute ride to the City of Washington wreck field. Capt Bob’s dive prep indicated the presence of a few nurse sharks, a goliath grouper, and a 6 foot cuda. He said that other dive ops feed the fish, so they’re real friendly to divers.

Dive 1 - Elbow Reef, the City of Washington wreck. max depth 28 feet, 65 minutes, viz 40-50 feet, seas 3-6 feet
We were first in the water to check out this wreck field. Sure enough, there were 4 or 5 very friendly nurse sharks. A few divers were petting one of the smaller ones. I was just soaking it all in. The goliath was pretty friendly, and I spent a lot of time cruising alongside him (or her). Also checked out a large green moray on the northern end of the wreck. We were the last divers out, and we didn’t want to leave.

Dive 2 - Elbow Reef, Civil War wreck. A paddlewheel boat towing a barge sank back in 1800’s. max depth 25 feet, 64 minutes.
We jumped in first for our last dive of the weekend. Other than a pile of metal that totally screwed up your compass readings, not much to this wreck field. There were some ledges and channels that we cruised around in, and we all agreed we were bored. We hung out under the boat for 10 minutes and then boarded last with about 900 psi.

Horizon Divers

All of the crew were very professional. Capt Bob did sound a bit rehearsed – every dive was “one of my absolute favorite sites", but he did an excellent job of running the boat, and didn’t give us a hard time when we would come up late after being first in.

</begin_rant>

Would I dive with Horizon Divers again? No, unless they offer a six-pack boat, and even then I’d think twice about it. Jeff set up our trip, and was real specific about wanting to dive the Grove and the Duane. He was also very specific about me wanting the guide for both dives. About a week before, he called them again, and they seemed to have “forgotten” about the Duane request, so they put us onto the Aqua-nut, without telling us about the Aqua-nut’s policy of no OW divers even with a guide. Turns out this is what happened to Jenn’s group as well.

And scheduling 3 dives the afternoon we did the Spiegel Grove was really annoying. If we had been told this in advance, and given the opportunity to dive a 3rd tank, it might have been acceptable, but this was not the case. Capt Bob and Divemaster Andre actually had a petition going around to stop this 3 dive nonsense. They indicated that it’s not the first time that customers haven’t been informed about it, and that in general there’s a lot of communication between management and the customers that the Captain is not privy to, and in the end he has to tell the customers something different.

Unless I have no other options, this was my first (and last) trip diving a cattle boat that caters to OW check-out divers. I’m not dissing the OW students, I was once one too, but it seems that Horizon made us suffer so they could accomodate their needs, and the shallow reefs became a bit boring. Maybe I should have done my homework a bit more on this trip. Jim seemed to like Aqua-nuts (probably because they let him smoke on board), but he said some of the tanks looked scary old.

If we come back to Key Largo, I would like it to be on a six-pack for multiple Spiegel and Duane dives (I’m getting my AOW next month). But I managed to convince Jim and Jeff that next year should be 6-pack drift diving in Cozumel on steel 120’s (hello Aldora).

</end_of_rant>

We got the Horizon rate at the Ramada Inn. Basic clean rooms, continental breakfast included. Right next door to Horizon.

We ate at Coconuts one night – good food, medium expensive, and Sharkeys the next – just as good food, less expensive and better bar with an under 80 crowd. :wink:

The little diner across from the Ramada Inn was good and cheap, we had a couple of lunches there.

Thanks for a great report. I was left wanting more, but will try to provide a similar quality post after next week. I have my AOW, but my buddy does not, so it was good for me to hear how it works down there. If any tips or tricks come to mind, keep me informed.

I almost forgot - I had what I assume is a bit of jellfish larvae rash on my neck. I remember seeing one or two at depth on one dive, but none on on the surface, so I can't be sure when it happened. I was also wondering if I might have touched some fire coral on the Spiegel and transferred it from my glove to my neck when taking my suit off.

The only unusual thing is the rash is all individual lumps, about 8mm in diameter, whereas when I got it back in April in Mexico, it was more of an even rash with smaller bumps. In Mexico there were thimbles as far as the eye could see, so I know what caused it there.

Please dont take this as a flame....

I cannot say I blame any dive outfit for not wanting to take OW divers to the Speigel Grove or Duane. In fact, most divers will say OW divers have no business on the Speigel Grove at all. These are advanced dives and should be left to those used to serious current and depth. I think both you mentioned are PADI and therefore dropping OW divers in 130 fsw might be a bad idea when I think 60 is all that is allowed. It kind of surprises me Aqua-Nuts lets OW students dive the Speigel Grove even with some deeper experience. I assume they must keep an eye on the OW divers and not let them venture much further below the rail?

Matt,

It's Horizon that allows OW divers on the Spiegel with a guide, not Aqua-nuts.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, nor do I take it as a flame.

But I also believe that many people's posts paint OW divers with the same broad brush, when their experience levels can vary widely. Holding an AOW card doesn't necesarily make one a better or safer diver. In fact, I've seen some real bozo divemasters in my 2 years diving.

I know I'll pick up more skills in my AOW class, but many AOW divers with a newly minted AOW card show up having done one deep dive, one boat dive, one night dive and one navigation dive. I guess I'm saying the card itself doesn't mean squat. I find it a bit ironic that I will have to take a class to teach me what I am already doing proficiently. (I was going to point out my experience, but don't want to make this a horn-blowing exercise).

Having said that, I hold no AOW card, so I can't complain if Aqua-nuts won't take me on the Duane. (My beef is with the expectation that Horizon set). In fact, I would be OK with not diving the Spiegel if the guide thought the conditions were too difficult, as I thoroughly enjoy living.

Your assumtion is correct, the guide kept us just a bit below the rail to an 80 foot max. And for the record, Horizon didn't ask anything about my experience, number of dives, deepest dive, etc., nor did they ask me if I had an SMB (I had 2). So they definitely are not looking at past experience as a factor in deciding who they'll take down.

cheers, Jack

matts1w:
Please dont take this as a flame....

I cannot say I blame any dive outfit for not wanting to take OW divers to the Speigel Grove or Duane. In fact, most divers will say OW divers have no business on the Speigel Grove at all. These are advanced dives and should be left to those used to serious current and depth. I think both you mentioned are PADI and therefore dropping OW divers in 130 fsw might be a bad idea when I think 60 is all that is allowed. It kind of surprises me Aqua-Nuts lets OW students dive the Speigel Grove even with some deeper experience. I assume they must keep an eye on the OW divers and not let them venture much further below the rail?

The giant Goliath Grouper's name is Bruiser. I have some nurse shark pics in my gallery from the same site and maybe the Bruiser too.

Cool place, I can't wait to go back.

WVDiver:
The giant Goliath Grouper's name is Bruiser. I have some nurse shark pics in my gallery from the same site and maybe the Bruiser too.

Cool place, I can't wait to go back.

Yeah, he was quite a fish. We met a couple that live in our area, and one of them was filming during our dive, so we're hoping to get a copy of the video.

Do you have a link to your gallery?

You CANNOT broadbrush all OW divers. AOW means nothing more than you took a course and paid some money. As a OW diver with over 100 dives in about 2 years and having traveled the carribean cayman,coz,roatan,jamicia,cancun and many keys dives on the wrecks, I feel have gain more experince than many AOW divers. I choose to spend my money diving not taking classes. It's called a log book and in my opinon thats show much more about a diver than a card. Thats my 2 cents.

yak:
Yeah, he was quite a fish. We met a couple that live in our area, and one of them was filming during our dive, so we're hoping to get a copy of the video.

Do you have a link to your gallery?

Look at my profile and find the photo section and click on gallery or when you read this post click "view gallery" down below my avatar in the stats box.

We were told that bruiser weights in at around 300 pounds. I think the biggest and best cuda pics probably came from The City of Washington wreck also.

Cardzard-

I am not painting anyone any certain way. I know all kinds of divers with all kinds of certifications. Some are great divers and some make me pretty nervous. I know I have a ton to learn as almost every dive offers a new-to-me expereince either with the enviornment, my buddy, or with students. Perhaps that is why I think it is always best to be conservative.

I simply would not take a diver without a well documented log book AND and at least AOW card to the Speigel Grove, Duane, or Bibb. That has nothing to do with the diver's safety, buy EVERYTHING to do with MY protection. If something were to happen, the first thing a lawyer would check is the diver's certification, then ask me why I took a him/her to a spot that reqired a dive deeper than any formal training he had recieved.

I have no doubt you dive very well. Best of luck to you.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom