Key Largo trip report - mostly subjective. Mostly.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

F106A

Contributor
Reaction score
NJ, GSP Exit 36 (24,000' from the Atlantic)
# of dives
500 - 999
5/24, Silent World:
AM trip - Duane/S.G. Reported to shop @ 8AM for sign-in. Took about 25 minutes. Then drove to the boat and got N2 tanks. About a dozen people on the boat. Left the dock @ 9:10. Seas 2' with occasional 3's. Duane had negligible current. Viz fairly good. Temp @ 100-120' about 75. The scheduled Bibb was, fortunately, full so we went to the S.G. Conditions about the same there. Viz was maybe a little less. Returned to the dock about 2:05.
Got a decent burger at the adjacent Shipwreck bar & grill. They'll tell you it takes 15 minutes to cook it and they're right.
PM trip - two shallow reefs. Departed the dock about 2:45. Went to Grecian Rocks and The Horseshoe. Not bad sites but French and Molasses are better, IMO. Returned to the dock @ 6:05 resulting in Happy Hour being replaced with Late Hour. However, the outcome was the same.

5/25, AM trip, HMS Minnow:
Got to the boat at 7:30. Signed in, analyzed N2 and met the four other divers. Departed the dock at 7:50. Seas the same 2's with occasional 3's thrown in. Did the S.G. again. Conditions below were the same with maybe a tad less viz. Then jumped over to French. French was good. Temps around 81-82. Viz fair to good. Back at the dock around 11:30. Capt. Jeff and his HMS Minnow delivered the usual fantastic service.

5/25, PM trip, Scuba Do:
Two shallow reefs; Snapper Ledge and Pickles. Left the dock at 1:00. Five divers on this spacious 34' boat makes for lots of elbow room. Even 10 people (the max they'll take) gives you plenty of room. Snapper was GREAT, like always. Pickles was very good. Viz at both was good. Temp 81-82. Seas flattening to 1-2's, I'd guess. Friendly crew, good briefings. Back at the dock by 4:30 (in time for Happy Hour). This was only the second time I've been on this boat with the new owners; I'll be going back.

5/26, Ocean Divers:
AM trip - S.G. and Benwood. Checked in at 7:30. Picked up an N2 tank and departed the dock at 8:00. I think there were about a dozen divers. STILL no current on the Spiegel. Viz improved some. Bottom temp about 77. Then we headed over to the good old Benwood. Lots to see, easy to navigate, fun for the whole family. Back at the dock by 11:45.
PM trip - double Molasses. Departed about 1:05 with maybe 15 divers. (Had to wait for Driver Craig finish his lunch or something.) Molasses was Molasses; always a good dive. Seas were about one foot. Crew was pleasant. Craig gave very good site briefings. Returned to the dock at 4:45 or so. Ocean Divers continues to provide a good, reliable service.
Sundowners still can't make a martini worth sh!+. Hobo's still makes everything pretty good.

Saw all the usual suspects during the various dives. A five foot gray colored shark buzzed me on Molasses on Tuesday, passing a couple of feet off my right shoulder. Probably thought I was from Orlando. Spirit was pretty much on time in both directions. Makes you think that maybe Barack won't punish hard work. (Fat chance)

Sea lice were nil.

Last edited:
Thnx for the report

Good report man...went out with Silent World on 6-3-09 and 6-4-09...they were great as usual! We have dove with them a few times, and they are a class outfit!

F106A,

Yes, sunbathing is a nice way of putting it:D. I was not a happy camper.

You won't get me into a 3 mm black full wetsuit again that time of year in Fl. The next day, I went went a rash guard and surf shorts.

Bill

F106 and Froid I am glad you both had a great time while in the Keys. I have to say the waters are even warmer today than when you guys where here. Warm sunshine and tropical breezes that's what the Keys are all about.:D

Bill,
Just trying to be diplomatic.

Becky,
Going to sample the even warmer water in four weeks at ITK.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom