Key Largo Raw Oyster Bar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcpowell

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any suggestions? My son and I will be there in a couple of weeks. He won't touch them, but a fresh dozen (or two) with a few cold ones....mmmm I can't wait.

Where is your favorite place? We'll be at the Courtyard, but he's under-aged for drinking so I have a built in DD and I don't mind driving a little for raw oysters.

Also, what are your thoughts on raw oysters in July? Does the "any month with an "R"" still hold true for the best months to slurp down a few raw ones?

I don't know any Key Largo oyster bars, but as far as the R-months thing, if an oyster bar relies on year-round service, they may have to source their oysters from far and wide to maintain a reliable supply of good oysters, and in the summer months that often means farms way up in the northeast or northwest where the oysters are carefully tended in nice cold water.

Any suggestions? My son and I will be there in a couple of weeks. He won't touch them, but a fresh dozen (or two) with a few cold ones....mmmm I can't wait.

Where is your favorite place? We'll be at the Courtyard, but he's under-aged for drinking so I have a built in DD and I don't mind driving a little for raw oysters.

Also, what are your thoughts on raw oysters in July? Does the "any month with an "R"" still hold true for the best months to slurp down a few raw ones?
Try The Fish House...right on the main drag...can't miss it.

Go to the Galley, above Sharkey's, next to Ocean Divers. A great atmosphere for the non-drinkers, non-smokers, an old time cafe. Same kitchen as Sharkey's. Oysters are a bargain price. They have many fine offerings such as fish tacos, authentic Baja, as well as fish sandwiches, fish and chips.... You will not be disappointed. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. My son and I have done a meal on oysters and beer.

Try The Fish House...right on the main drag...can't miss it.

Fish house would be my choice for raw oysters, very busy establishment, high turnover and a retail market as well. I always ask the server/bartender origin of oysters and how do they look. Many restaurants in the upper keys, shuck their oysters in THE AM prior to happy hour. Fish house shucks on demand.

Reefman
Key largo

Hate to be negative, but last week we had the most disappointing oyster dish ever at the Lazy Lobster. They were downright gross. Everything else was good though :wink:

Thanks for the tips. It's good to know both the good and bad.

Has to do with the bacteria that grows in warmer waters. I wouldn't eat a gulf oyster in a month with an R, and I might not eat a Maine oyster in a month with an R, but I'd likely eat a Nova Scotia oyster in a month with an R. Likely, but not probably. I grew up eating oysters, only in the winter.

And if you get a blow out day, Key West is worth the drive, and has a ton of oyster bars. Including gourmet oysters from wherever for a stupid price. Good oysters at the Half Shell Raw Bar, Conch Republic Seafood, and Alonzo's Oyster Bar, but there are half a dozen other establishments.

Think about the way you die from warm water oysters..... Ewwww. U.S. to Ban Raw Warm-Water Oysters

Last edited:
Go to the Galley, above Sharkey's, next to Ocean Divers. A great atmosphere for the non-drinkers, non-smokers, an old time cafe. Same kitchen as Sharkey's. Oysters are a bargain price. They have many fine offerings such as fish tacos, authentic Baja, as well as fish sandwiches, fish and chips....

Yep. The fish tacos are pretty awesome......unless you end up blowing them through your regulator the next day. After that, they lose some of their appeal. BTW, the fish love Sharkey's fish tacos. Go figure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom