Key Largo quick trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After two years an a half since my daugther was born, my wife and i have stayed out of the water. we want to come back and we just book plane tickets to miami for a road trip along the keys. is the first time we go out alone since our baby was born and we want to have a good time.(baby is staying with grandma at home :) )

We arrive to miami at 8 am a wednesday and we would like to dive that afternoon on key largo. Stay the night on key largo and dive next day on the morning.(one of the dives should be the spiegel grove )....

Thrusday afteroon we would like to drive to key west and stay a night there. do you have any hotel recommendations that will not break the bank, i saw prices and it is ridiculous how expensive some hotels are $250 to $300. Friday morning we will just hang out in there a little and then drive back to miami to take our flight back to texas on saturday at 11 am.

Is my plan realistic enough? do you think we are missing something?

Except for your wish for a cheaper hotel in Key West, your plan is reasonable. KW is expensive in the winter: even in the summer, hotels aren't cheap. Check out airbnb.com and you might find something a little less expensive

Also, use the same operator in Key Largo for your trips. You have been out of the water a long time even though you have a decent number of dives. The Spiegel Grove is an advanced dive due to depth and sometimes strong currents. A shop might want to check you out in the water before putting you on the Spiegel. A couple of "get back into it" dives the afternoon before can give the shop (and more important, you) a comfort level on whether the Spiegel is for you. You can also hire a dive guide for the Spiegel, might be worth it.

When coming back Friday, don't overlook Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary. It is a short boat trip from Big Pine Key and one of the most absolutely beautiful reefs anywhere in the Keys, and easy diving 15-40' and usually benign conditions).

Finally, keep track of the weather. February can sometimes be windy and rough. Whether you want to be getting on and off a boat pitching in 6' seas with all your gear on, after more than 2 years, might not be your cup of tea.

Also, I'll edit and add that the Spiegel is, really, best dived on nitrox.

Don't drive to Key West. Do Wednesday afternoon dives.Thursday morning dives. Thursday afternoon dives. Friday morning dives. All shallow.
Stay in one hotel.

I tend to agree with evad's suggestion. On a short trip and first time back diving in a couple years and on vacation without your young child, why not relax and enjoy your time together and diving in one place.

I tend to agree with evad's suggestion. On a short trip and first time back diving in a couple years and on vacation without your young child, why not relax and enjoy your time together and diving in one place.

Too short a time period for the Keys. Spend your few days diving in Key Largo area. Tons of dive shops and opportunities. Sleep in your car/disposable tent at Lone Pine campground in the Everglades for $20 a night and drive 45 minutes to Key Largo each day. Drive down one day to Key West and back late at night for the party atmosphere if you've never been there. 100 miles [1 1/2 hours] each way but not on friday night [too much traffic].

Don't sleep in your car.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations. I have a nitrox certification and I was thinkingalooking about the speigel dive with nitric or maybe the hole trip.

I am flying back in Saturday at 11 am.so for the 24 hr no diving before flying I need to do something on friday.

So maybe do diving two days and Last day drive back and for to key west...

Thanks for the recommendations

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom