Key Largo quick trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would probably do early AM shallow dives, (unless I was sick of diving) and then take the drive. Then I'd probably get drunk, then arrested, then miss the flight anyway and probably just stay drunk in Key West for the rest of my life. Your mileage may vary.

If your plans are primarily about diving, then follow the above posts and stay in Key Largo. But if you want some night life or to see some interesting sites like the Hemingway House or the Eisenhower southern White House or Mel Fisher's museum or watch the sun set over Mallory Square or enjoy the drive over the overseas highway and 7 mile bridge then include your side trip to Key West.

I agree completely.

I spent two weeks in Key West last year.... One week strictly diving with my brother in Late Feb and another week with the wife in March (night life and diving) - I hadn't been there in quite a few years, and found it VERY expensive to do anything other than walk around and see the sites mentioned above. The cruise ships are there every day and the streets were like Mardi Gras on Fat Tuesday. It was hard for me to enjoy the night life there....just too much going on for me.
Most of the reef there is really washed out - the wrecks are nice (really enjoyed the Vandenberg), but diving is much better in the northern keys. I will be going back in two weeks to Marathon Key to dive and spear fish while staying on a friends sail boat a few days. Then I will head north and hopefully camp at the national park and dive Key Largo a day or so. Maybe head north and try the blue heron bridge. I have a week to play with. Hope the weather cooperates!

Stay at Amoray in KL. Reasonable priced rooms, dive boat on site. And I wouldn't waste time or money going to Key West. Just stay in Key Largo and enjoy the laid back atmosphere.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom