Key Largo queries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inter_alia

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My father and I are planning to go with Horizon Divers in August for three (or more) boat dives on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. We picked weekdays to hopefully avoid major crowds and we picked Horizon after reading loads of posts around here and doing other research.
He's a ninja diver (DiveCon, 150+ dives), I have thirty dives (half in Bonaire) and here are my questions:

1. Please advise on the currents and seas out at the Spiegel Grove.

2. Is the Duane tricky because of depth or for other reasons?

3. After living in Florida for three years, I know afternoon storms are common... which is why we chose morning boats. Anyone have a comment for best time of day in Key Largo for diving?

4. Between the Marina Del Mar and the Best Western, is there any subjective information that would be useful in making the decision? Square footage matters more than luxury to us, and Horizon will let our gear stay over night so trekking with more than regs shouldn't be a problem... are both of these at the same marina?

And, 5. is sort of off-topic: Ginnie Springs is where we're thinking of stopping on the way back. Anyone had any experience with the High Country Inn in High Springs?

Thank you for your time, I'm so excited to get to Key Largo I don't know what to do with myself. Panama City just doesn't cut it sometimes, you know?
Any advice is welcomed.

I had a great day of diving with Horizon last year in August. The current at the Spiegel was pretty strong, but no unbearable. It was a fun dive. The crew on the boat was top-notch. I had wondered who to dive with, but our resort (Rock Reef Inn) recommended Horizon.

I can't really answer any of the other questions. We had great weather for the morning dive. We snorkelled the day before at Christ the Abyss and had great weather. You never know.

Current at SG can vary a bit, but be prepared for moderate current at the surface. Shouldn't be a problem though as you might have a granny line to get you from the boat to the descent line if the current is running high. Once you're down you can get out of the flow by staying down and using the wreck structure as shelter. I had no problem with current on the wreck once at depth. The Duane on the other hand can have current so strong that the mooring bouy can be sucked under. I've only seen this once and we aborted the dive that day. The other times I've dived it, we had moderate current at the surface AND at depth, but it didn't interfere with the dive. It is something to be aware of however, as you could get blown off the wreck if you aren't careful. By the end of the dive I was hanging like a flag on the ascent line because the current had picked up so much! Once again, not a real problem if you are careful during ascent and descent. Say hi to Mike (boat captain at Horizon) for me! ZG

1 - There is usually strong surface current at the Speigel Grove. This means you MUST go down the mooring line AND come back up the same line. Free descents and ascents will get und up with you drifitng away. The current on the wreck can also be tricky. There can be strange eddies. The current can change in an instant, leaving you hanging on the ascent line like laundry in a strong wind.

2 - The Duane often has a stong current which can kick up unexpectedly. I've dove it with no current at all. I've also done it as a drift dive. I've also gone out there only to have the captain say, "Sorry. Too much current. No Duane for you today!"

3 - I like morning, aftenoon and night dives equally. Keys rainstorms USUALLY blow over quickly. If it's raining, I'd rather be under the water, where I'm already wet.

4 - The accomodations at the Best Western are large, duplex one bedroom apartments. At the Marina Del Ray it's possible to get a one bedroom instead of a studio, but you pay more for it. Marina Del Ray has nicer common facilities (pool, jaccuzi, workout room.) I'm particularly fond of Coconuts, a nice resaurant / club / bar located right at Marina Del Ray with a nice view of the canals. Marina Del Ray is on the opposite side of the canal from Horizon Divers. Best Western is walking distance from Horizon Divers on the same side of the canal.

You might also want to consider the Ramada Limited if you want an inexpensive place to stay. I stayed in a standard size hotel room with a private jaccuzi , and paid 90$ a night for it. It's in an ideal location at the end of the canal, walking distance from Horizon Divers, Coconuts, and several loacal restaurants out on the highway.

5 - off topic answer to a question you didn't ask - Try Ganim's Country Kitchen for breakfast and the Cracked Conch for key lime pie. Sundowners may be kind of pricey and touristy but their sour dough bread bowl filled with spicy conch chowder may be the most wonderful thing I have ever put in my mouth. The Tiki Bar at Holiday Isle has the best conch fritters I've ever had, all greasy and delicious.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom