Key Largo or Key West with new divers??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just back from a diving trip to Key Largo and Key West with my 16 year old son. I would stick with Key Largo for diving with everyone. There are plenty of great locations that don't push the limits for the young ones, plus you will see great stuff on the dives. Easy diving, cool stuff. Perfect for the family!!

We dove with Key Largo Dive Center and I will definitely dive with them again. Great people, great service.

Another advantage to KL is there are plenty of places to stay and lots of great dining that is family friendly. We ate fresh seafood all week without blowing the budget. Yes, it costs more than at home, but it's really really fresh, really really good seafood!

Key west has lots of interesting sites that are family friendly during the day but the diving isn't as good.

Where all did you eat? We are heading down Saturday and out two favs are Sharkeys for fish tacos (that we at least do 3 times LOL) and tower of pizza. Open for new suggestions please.
Glad you had fun. I am going with my husband son and girlfriend and daughter and boyfriend. they are in the early 20's. Gonna be a great trip...
But we did a lot of diving there when my kids were young and just starting their diviing...
Great place!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added ----------

Key Largo would be a safe bet, and Rainbow reef is a good op, they have 2 boats that go out in the morning, so you won't have to do a deep dive first. Also depending on your comfort level with your kids, they have guides in the water for the same price as everyone else's dives without.

Dive Key Largo, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving

Rainbow reef is great... that is who my kids got their aow from and we are diving with them next week!

Best food we had all week was Key Largo Conch House. Outstanding unique seafood dishes. The conch chowder was great and my hogfish was fantastic. MM 100.2 Oceanside. Looks like a house.

Also enjoyed Snappers tho the atmosphere shows some age, the food was really good. We then went outside for the live band and enjoy the Oceanside bar.

I always enjoy the Fish House as good solid but not inventive seafood. And their New England Clam Chowder Is very good.

The other one I just remembered is Pilot House Restaurant at the Marina. Very decent bar and restaurant for lunch or dinner. Mahi tacos were really good and the daily special of shrimp and sausage gumbo over rice was excellent. Cool place to hang out, watch a game at the bar or eat and watch the boats come and go. Lots of locals. Waitresses have a good sassy attitude. lol

The other one I just remembered is Pilot House Restaurant at the Marina. Very decent bar and restaurant for lunch or dinner. Mahi tacos were really good and the daily special of shrimp and sausage gumbo over rice was excellent. Cool place to hang out, watch a game at the bar or eat and watch the boats come and go. Lots of locals. Waitresses have a good sassy attitude. lol

Think we have been to a few of those...Next time you are there you need to go to Sparkys on the Holiday Inn side of the marina and try their fish tacos... they are the best I have ever had!!!!1

Stop with food already guys.

You're killing me. lol

I like Marker 88 if the weather will allow you to eat outside. Its fun to watch the sun set over the bay for dinner. Their Thai green beans are really good: I usually get some sort of fish and have not been disappointed. As the name suggests, the restaurant is located at MM 88.

Could not have said it better myself. Marker88 was the single best meal we had there all week. Thai green beans were awesome.....what I had of mine after my wife nabbed them all. Weather was perfect, sat outside as well. While every place has "the keys best key lime pie", theirs was really good.

+1 on everyone of those tasty restaurants.
I'll add Bayside Grille to that list of favorite already mentioned above.
And don't forget Sharkey's for fish tacos.

Stop with food already guys.

You're killing me. lol

Dream on pal.......

Am I the only one on this board that knows about Herbies on Marathon?
Excellent cracked conch, redneck sweet tea, and often the best service with a snarl you ever had.
Highly entertaining...but...DO NOT BE IN A HURRY!
They have a neat little bar.
If the place is full, it takes a while.
They cook it FRESH!
Chug
Likes Herbies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom