Key Largo or Key West with new divers??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hesslerca

Registered
Reaction score
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
# of dives
Any ideas on where to go as a family? our 13 and 10 year olds were just certified. We are very advanced but realize we will have to back up a bit to accomodate them.

Also any ideas on where to stay as a family without breaking the bank also appreciated!

Definitely Key Largo for all of the reasons you stated here. Key West is not a family destination. The times spent not diving are all adult things to do, like drink and stare at boobies belonging to women not your wife. Key West is much more expensive to stay in than Key Largo. Everything is trucked farther. The reefs are as good, but the selection is not as wide so there are more opportunities to see more reefs in Key Largo.

Key Largo would be PERFECT for new divers. My wife and I just got back 10 days ago from our first trip there. Most of the reef dives we did were fun, easy and beautiful (think you are in the Caribbean) and the deepest I got at any time was 32 feet. One day a storm came in and the current kicked in but was relatively manageable ducking behind coral heads. My 13 and 11 year olds are in the middle of their certification class right now and we will definitely be bringing them there. Just need to figure out what to do with the 6-year-old.

Can't speak much to where to stay but there are plenty of options. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. We stayed at the Hilton using a corporate rate for some nights and Hhonors points for other nights. There is a man-made beach and pool to keep the kids occupied after diving. Flew into Ft. Lauderdale and rented a car from Budget using Costco travel website. Car was $104 for a full size car for the week including all the tax and surcharge crapola (taxes and surcharges were more than the base rate for the car itself).

Key Largo. Beautiful diving and easy to get to. We'll be back.

Key Largo is a great place for diving families. Much of our famous reefs are 30ft or shallower with lots of variety and easy diving for all levels of divers. There are more dive ops that gas stations here and many are often praised here on Scubaboard. Here is a list. I recommend searching this forum for a few to read what others have said. After narrowing down, I recommend contacting a few to get a feel for if what they offers matches your expectations.

As for accommodations, there are also many options. Most of the ops work closely with a variety (& price ranges) of local hotels to help you find something that also meets your needs. For families I recommend condos or suites with kitchens such as Key West Inn (next to Horizon Divers and Key Largo Dive Center' boat) - loft condos w/ kitchens or Marina del Mar (next to Ocean Divers) - suites that sleep 4-6 with kitchens.

Welcome to Key Largo. Your family will have a blast diving here. Please feel free to ask, if you have additional questions.
Elena

---------- Post added ----------

Key Largo would be PERFECT for new divers. My wife and I just got back 10 days ago from our first trip there. Most of the reef dives we did were fun, easy and beautiful (think you are in the Caribbean) and the deepest I got at any time was 32 feet. One day a storm came in and the current kicked in but was relatively manageable ducking behind coral heads. My 13 and 11 year olds are in the middle of their certification class right now and we will definitely be bringing them there. Just need to figure out what to do with the 6-year-old.

Key Largo. Beautiful diving and easy to get to. We'll be back.

Many boats are family friendly and you can bring your 6 yo to snorkel while divers dive. They will ask that one adult snorkel with your child, but that means you and your wife can alternate diving with 2 kids then snorkeling with the youngest and share family time while on the boat.

Here is a post I just made in another thread on the same subject.

Please feel free to contact me with additional questions.
Elena

Last edited:
Key Largo.
Lots to do there , a day trip to Key Weird is cool, but be gone with the kids around sunset though.

Chug
Thinks Wookie complains too much.
...stare at boobies belonging to women not your wife.
This is bad?

Chug
Thinks Wookie complains too much.

This is bad?

I LIKE other women's boobies. I am without young children in tow.

Just back from a diving trip to Key Largo and Key West with my 16 year old son. I would stick with Key Largo for diving with everyone. There are plenty of great locations that don't push the limits for the young ones, plus you will see great stuff on the dives. Easy diving, cool stuff. Perfect for the family!!

We dove with Key Largo Dive Center and I will definitely dive with them again. Great people, great service.

Another advantage to KL is there are plenty of places to stay and lots of great dining that is family friendly. We ate fresh seafood all week without blowing the budget. Yes, it costs more than at home, but it's really really fresh, really really good seafood!

Key west has lots of interesting sites that are family friendly during the day but the diving isn't as good.

Believe them when they say NOT Key West. Took teenage boys to Key West and it was TOO much education. Have not been to Key Largo, yet. Did dive with Key Divers out of Islamorado. We did two days of afternoon dives there as our first dives after certification. The morning dives were deeper so by doing the afternoon dives we dove on shallower reefs, most in the 30 to 40 ft. range. Was a great start to diving. Had a really nice boat and our crew was excellent. We did a package with Key Dives and the Islander. Great trip.

Key west has lots of interesting sites that are family friendly during the day but the diving isn't as good.

Actually, the diving is wonderful. There just aren't any moorings on the better dive sites, and the local operators get so many vacation divers that live boating just isn't gonna happen.

Largo gets my vote - it's very hard to beat Pennekamp's reefs. I've dealt with Horizon Divers and Quiescence and can recommend them both. Horizon has a bigger boat they use for the reef dives which would be more suitable to your new divers (unless they want to learn how to backroll). I'd also suggest getting the morning session since afternoon winds tend to stir things up a bit more.

---------- Post added ----------

Largo gets my vote - it's very hard to beat Pennekamp's reefs. I've dealt with Horizon Divers and Quiescence and can recommend them both. Horizon has a bigger boat that they use for their reef dives which would be more suitable to your new divers (unless they want to learn how to backroll). I'd also suggest getting the morning session since afternoon winds tend to stir things up a bit more.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom