Key Largo info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good thing I booked the flight into Fort Lauderdale. I wasn't sure it was the best decision since it's 90 miles to Key Largo versus 60 from Miami, but your comments seem to support it was a wise decision. Plus, the price difference is considerable.

I have dove with capt. gary for years at conch republic and he can get you a deal on a room when you call.
He has trips for all levels and I cannot stress enough how much he will make you feel at home.

I am taking 5 divers on 15 dives, half of them are on a private charter, We are doing the Speigel Grove, Eagle , and Duane and all the reefs we can, plus a night dive. Flights on Airtran and rental thru Carl's van service and staying at the Suites at Key Largo. All this for under $1000pp and if I didn;t half the private charters about $800 pp. Can't stress enough to stay near the boat. Also save time and money- if you have a portable GPS unit for your car pack it in your carry on. You can save more then $20 if you bring your own. Don;t bother to buy one - only do this if you already have one. It is not hard to navigate the keys but it can be a little tricky getting from FLL to Largo. $20 doesn't sound like alot but it is 20 towards staying near the boat.

Is the boat ride usually calm or rough to Spiegel Grove or Duane towards the end of April?

Ocean Divers, extremely reliable transport from Key Largo, see my Undercurrent reports. I stay at Holiday Inn, very convenient for me.

Good diving, Craig

Is the boat ride usually calm or rough to Spiegel Grove or Duane towards the end of April?
Normally, the weather starts to moderate that time of year - what really causes the rough seas and high winds are the cold fronts that make their way south during the winter months.

Late April is often free of these fronts, but you can encounter winds (and resultant high/rough seas any time of year) -

June - September are the most consistant months for calm seas, but its also hurricane season.

Short(er) answer - you will likely be OK but there are no assurances as there might be if you were here in July or August.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom