Key Largo in mid-April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZdiver1279

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We're a group of five divers going to Key Largo right after tax season.

We already have a place to stay and we've been there a few years ago, we won't dive with the shop we used before - too many students- it was chaos.

We would like to hear from others tha have been there. What did you like ablut your Dive Shop/Boat? What did you not like? PLease tell us all about it,

We're looking at Amy Amoray but are a little concerned about the time it takes to get to the sites since tey are on the bay side.

We're looking at Horizon but it appears they mix divers with snorklers - don't want none of that.

Looking at Ocean but I don't know if they are one of those 'cattle boat operators'

We are also looking at Scuba Do but I'm not sure about their entries and exits-seems timeconsumning.

Some interest in Conch but they seem to be too far to the south to hit some of the sites we want to see.

Well, hopefully that will get us started on this thread.

Thanks so much for you helpful replies.

I've recommended and used ConchRepublic before. They are top notch. I would suggest calling Gary and discussing your issue with him.

my two cents!

Green with envy, wish I was going with ya.

////

Thanks John - I did think about them but the're further south and I wasn't sure if they went up to Key Largo - I dove Islamorada before and wasn't as impressed with it as I was the Key Largo site - what the heck- I'll give them a call - thanks again!

You may want to take another look at Horizon Divers. They have a small boat that I have used many times. It accommodates 4 to 5 tech divers really nice and maybe 8 to 9 rec divers. The crew is great, very convenient for loading and un-loading the boat, and they store your equipment on site between dive days.

As far as snorkelers and divers together, I don't think that happens to often, unless someone has a SO that doesn’t dive and just wants to get wet while they are diving.

I'm using them again for a tech trip at the end of May.

Give Dan a call and talk to him.

Another shop I've dived with was Silent World. They really went out of thier way to help us out on doing dives that they weren't going to. Great people.

As far as Amoray goes, I've seen thier boats on some of the dive sites and they are a typical cattle boat! Lot's of divers.

have fun and give us report when you get back.

Craig

Last edited:
I stayed at Amoray in January. The sites aren't that far away - maybe an extra 15 minutes to get to Pennekamp Park as opposed to ops that are on the other side of the key. They were pretty flexible with regards to locations also. Do a search for Amoray and you'll see my trip report. I was very satisfied with the level of service we received as I can be a pain in the a**. Reviews on SB are mixed, but the latest ones seem to indicate that they have made significant changes to their operation and are running smoothly.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

You may want to take another look at Horizon Divers. They have a small boat that I have used many times. It accommodates 4 to 5 tech divers really nice and maybe 8 to 9 rec divers. The crew is great, very convenient for loading and un-loading the boat, and they store your equipment on site between dive days.

As far as snorkelers and divers together, I don't think that happens to often, unless someone has a SO that doesn’t dive and just wants to get wet while they are diving.

I'm using them again for a tech trip at the end of May.

Give Dan a call and talk to him.

Another shop I've dived with was Silent World. They really went out of thier way to help us out on doing dives that they weren't going to. Great people.

As far as Amoray goes, I've seen thier boats on some of the dive sites and they are a typical cattle boat! Lot's of divers.

have fun and give us report when you get back.

Craig
Thanks - I posted a similiar thread in the Florida forum - there was also good feedback there about Silent World - I talked to Horizon and they said that the time of year we're going they may have some snorklers - April 16-19th - something about spring break............

Thanks!

Silent World or also contact Island Ventures as well, both run a good operations and decent sized boats (eg. no cattle cars).

As for places to stay, try the Pelican or Seafarer or Suites of Key Largo (I think that's what it's called) which can be found off of Silent World's website.

Back
Top Bottom