Question Key Largo in Early Dec for new diver. Are heavy currents common?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chrisk919

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

My (24 y/o) son has finally decided that all this diving stuff the old man has gotten back into looks fun and he's getting certified.

So I was thinking after he gets certified and we do a couple more warmup dives in the local quarry (probably the same one he'll be certified in by end of Oct.) we should go somewhere with some nice shallow dives to get him experience, and get comfortable with diving.

My first thought was Key Largo:
  • Warm water
  • Pretty fish
  • Decent coral
  • Shallow dives
His PTO is "use it or loose it" which is one of the reasons we're looking in December, but also to get him experience so when the season finally "opens" in early summer of NC we can get him his AOW with more than 4 dives under his belt, and so we can go on more varied diving trips in 2025.

I know some of the risks for winter weather and possibly getting blown out a couple days of the week (or more, yes it's a gamble), and possibly a rough ride in some higher seas even getting to the shallow reefs.

My only question is regarding strong currents in the winter.

I remember a dive I did myself on Dry Rocks (checked the logs - Jan 17, 1994) where there was a ripping southerly current there and it looked like it was snowing because of all the sand/particulates in the water. My insta-buddy and I decided to try and swim north one buoy to the Christ of the Abyss statue, but needless to say we aborted. I'd hate to have every dive of the week be like that for a newly-certified diver.

I've searched here, and other than @Johnoly's reply in a thread regarding the Boca->Hollywood area ('Currents - Shore Diving - seasonal?') I've not seen a lot of mention of winter currents being excessive. Luckily the King high tide's are listed as mid-December and we were looking at the first week of Dec, so we're avoiding currents that might be happening then.

I can't say I've done enough KL winter diving to know if high currents are "normal" in the season?
Anyone have any experience one way or the other?

--Chris

It's dicier in the winter, but not much. You'll probably fine if no winter storm comes your way. Enjoy!

The Keys in the winter aren’t necessarily ‘warm’ water diving (for me - but I’m a baby). In the winter it can be a little surgey for me also. But I’m 64 and like things easy, so as they say ‘your mileage may vary’, and your son probably won’t notice the extra work of surge or the cool water. If you get weathered out there are plenty of good restaurants, and a Divers Direct to spend all your money. :wink:

You will probably be fine but if the boats aren't going out for a few days because a weather system comes through just drive to Blue Heron Bridge on the Intercoastal on Singer Island and dive near High Tide. Maximum depth about 25 feet.

The 30 foot reefs in Key Largo and BHB are perfect for a beginner gaining confidence.

Most destinations one goes to have no backup plan for bad weather. South Florida does.

The Keys in the winter aren’t necessarily ‘warm’ water diving (for me - but I’m a baby).
Oh I get it. I used to say that when I lived in Florida.. Right along with "I'll never live anywhere it snows".. But then work dragged me north and my blood has apparently thickened considerably over the last 30 years, and now 71 at depth is "oooh warm summer temps", lol.

You will probably be fine but if the boats aren't going out for a few days because a weather system comes through just drive to Blue Heron Bridge on the Intercoastal on Singer Island and dive near High Tide. Maximum depth about 25 feet.

The 30 foot reefs in Key Largo and BHB are perfect for a beginner gaining confidence.

Most destinations one goes to have no backup plan for bad weather. South Florida does.

Yeah, I've got BHB as a backup plan in case of blowout to get a couple dives in depending on when the high tide is... Viz may still be poor during bad weather, but it's still better than quarry diving.

I want to make a trip back there with a new camera I've put together, but that's not for this trip as I'll want to keep both eyes on the new diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom