Key Largo dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking forward to it. Flying into fll and driving down. Are the toll roads on the drive ezpass compatible?
I dont know about the capability, but they do a license plate check and just mail you a bill with a very reasonable up fee. There is a pass system, I just dont remember if it was ez pass.

I dont know about the capability, but they do a license plate check and just mail you a bill with a very reasonable up fee. There is a pass system, I just dont remember if it was ez pass.

Florida has its own SunPass program. No clue if it’s EZPass compatible. Check the website. It should tell you.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml

At the time my warm water diving experience was Grand Cayman. I am certain I did not expect it to compare to GC and I am sure I had lower expections. What I recall was rubble strewn broken corals with very little in fish life.

I have no idea what either GC or Key Largo was like 30 years ago, since 2015 my experience is key largo (the sites I dived) were much fishier. The reef topology, walls and visibility were better in GC though.

They basically ask for you to be back in 45 minutes. They are shallow enough you dont have to swap tanks between dives unless you want to.

Eh, I don't like the sounds of that... a 45 minute limit is pretty restrictive most I know of allow an hour.

Negative on the EZpass. The only place in Florida EZpass works is some toll roads around Orlando. If you are flying into Fort Lauderdale and renting a car it is not simple like having your own car and having the cameras take a picture of your license plate and sending you a bill in the mail afterwards.

The rental car companies look at this as a major revenue stream. So read the fine print but some of the companies want $15 a day to use their Sunpass installed in the car. If you don't use their Sunpass and you go through a camera toll it is a big expense billed to you, not just the toll.

There is a work around, but it can be a PIA (I know I did it in October renting a car in Miami airport). You can rent your car without Sunpass, drive to a Walgreens and buy a Sunpass for something like $6, call Sunpass to activate it. The rental company needs to disable their sunpass in the vehicle, and take their license plate off their account. I had to go to 3 Walgreens as the first 2 were out of them. As I said a PIA.

However the main good highway to the keys actually Homestead is a toll road.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/program.shtml

I have a sunpass that sticks with suction cups to the window of my car. I stick it on my car whenever I go to Florida. As long as the car's license plate is in their system, it should work, and I have both my cars in the system so I could move it from one to another. They told me it would work with a rental car if I put in the license plate. This year was the first time I had a rental car in Florida, but we never went on a toll road, so I never got to test it.

I have a sunpass that sticks with suction cups to the window of my car. I stick it on my car whenever I go to Florida. As long as the car's license plate is in their system, it should work, and I have both my cars in the system so I could move it from one to another. They told me it would work with a rental car if I put in the license plate. This year was the first time I had a rental car in Florida, but we never went on a toll road, so I never got to test it.

One of the best pieces of information that I have picked up off of the Internet in a long time. Much information is known by many but this seems so unique and useful to travelers to Florida who have to deal with the confusion of does it work or doesn't it.

I also got the suction cup Sunpass for my own car in January when I drove to Florida (called Sunpass portable) cost $20. If you drive down 95 you can buy it at the Florida Welcome Center just south of the Georgia border. Maybe buy it online before your trip and activate when you get there and find out what the license plate # is on your rental car. Otherwise find out where you can buy one near the airport without going on a toll road to get to the store to buy it. Keep in mind the rental car companies are not going to help you in this process. They are hoping you think it is too complicated and give up and use theirs.

The $5 Sunpass is called a Sunpass Mini. It sticks to your windshield but is not designed to be transferable to another vehicle. One time use.

One of the best pieces of information that I have picked up off of the Internet in a long time.

I bought a sunpass back in 2009 with the suction cups and I have used it ever since - I went down in Dec 2020 and it still works. You must put the license plate in the system using the website. You determine how much to fill with a round number $20 or so each time it refills - the money stayed in the account so dont use $50 increments. Because you are not taking it back out - I last used my sunpass about 2011 and it was still good in Dec 2020. Dont lose the sunpass and make sure you keep your password. Those are the key points. But definitely buy the sunpass because of ease of use.
One last point the sunpass is only on the mainland of Florida - there are no tolls in the Keys. You can leave it on your windshield but you will not be charged in the Keys.

Keep in mind the people saying it is easy with there own vehicle have not experienced how the rental car companies make it so difficult to use your own Sunpass with a rental car. After all the hassle of going to three Walgreens to buy the Sunpass Mini and calling Sunpass to activate, going through the phone menu to finally get a real person on the phone they couldn't activate the Sunpass I just bought. Turns out the rental company only did half the work they needed to do to allow my Sunpass to work. I had to call the Rental Company back to get them to totally remove the license plate # from their account. Then call Sunpass back to get it activated. PIA.

The poster who asked is renting a car in FLL.

Yes your SunPass transponder works in rental cars. As @boulderjohn mentioned you must log into your SunPass account and add the plate number once you have your vehicle. You can enter a start & end date for that vehicle. You can register all of your vehicles to the one transponder and just put it in the one you’re using for a given trip.

I’ve done it many times. It works very well.

Another benefit of this is if you happen to use a toll-by-plate only exit it is able to find your SunPass account via the plate and it will hit your SunPass account and not send you a bill. You also pay no surcharge because they don’t have to bill you.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom